Plastering over vinyl wallpaper??

Members online

kingfisher

Hi I'm all new on here and I joined up because of an ongoing project of an old bungalow.

So, onto the bathroom..
and my first question.

A diy afficianado advised I could just paint over vinyl. So I cracked on with it.. only to find that the previous wallpaper joins now stick out like a sore thumb (they weren't previously noticeable with the busy floral vinyl paper)

I'm now wondering whether to tile the whole (smallish) bathroom.. Then again I'm on a plastering forum ha and not shy to plaster over it (it will need more than a skim with those joins) but I wouldn't know what exact set-up to use and indeed if it is at all advisable?

At least the vinyl is solidly attached to the wall, so no danger of flakey paper fall later down the line,
but the walls now have a layer of white kitchens/bathroom paint.
Is that going to be better or worse for plastering? Or steer clear?

It might be easier to get some plasterboard panels but not sure I'm in any delivery radius out in the hills.
So looking at the previous options.

Oh. What about those smaller panels they normally put under bathroom tiles??
They would flatten the whole area plus smaller and transportable
and they clearly arent out of place in a bathroom ..but if I dont tile over them (dont really fancy operating a tile cutter!) what are my options realistically?

I'm going to need a bit of tiling around the bath anyway though.

Hoping you can help. Imagination and inexperience is a heady mix.

Cheers
K

I like your last sentence....lol
Scrape it all back to good plaster, then glue it and skim it. Don't go over the paper.

I like your last sentence....lol
Scrape it all back to good plaster, then glue it and skim it. Don't go over the paper.

Thanks Dropsalot for your input.

In this case, the vinyl paper is glued on (to the point where it was impossible to get off in the first place, which is why I whipped out the paint, having seen it took half an hour for the sake of scraping off a few mm and classic hot water sponging didn't deliver)

And given the total amount of work to do on the place, I am praying for shortcuts..
So is there any product or secret technique that would assist me in the Great British Scrape-Off or do I just need to practise zen and patience, grow a long beard and have more tea breaks?

No short cut has ever lived up to it's promise mate. If we are talking zen, ....then before you become the master, you must first be the apprentice..........orrr, get a real plasterer in to look at it.

Hi I'm all new on here and I joined up because of an ongoing project of an old bungalow.

So, onto the bathroom..
and my first question.

A diy afficianado advised I could just paint over vinyl. So I cracked on with it.. only to find that the previous wallpaper joins now stick out like a sore thumb (they weren't previously noticeable with the busy floral vinyl paper)

I'm now wondering whether to tile the whole (smallish) bathroom.. Then again I'm on a plastering forum ha and not shy to plaster over it (it will need more than a skim with those joins) but I wouldn't know what exact set-up to use and indeed if it is at all advisable?

At least the vinyl is solidly attached to the wall, so no danger of flakey paper fall later down the line,
but the walls now have a layer of white kitchens/bathroom paint.
Is that going to be better or worse for plastering? Or steer clear?

It might be easier to get some plasterboard panels but not sure I'm in any delivery radius out in the hills.
So looking at the previous options.

Oh. What about those smaller panels they normally put under bathroom tiles??
They would flatten the whole area plus smaller and transportable
and they clearly arent out of place in a bathroom ..but if I dont tile over them (dont really fancy operating a tile cutter!) what are my options realistically?

I'm going to need a bit of tiling around the bath anyway though.

Hoping you can help. Imagination and inexperience is a heady mix.

Cheers
K
Just elbow grease,I can sell you some .....20 ltrs for £45 plus vat that would be sure to get the paper off!! Don't be daft it not the done thing to plaster over wall paper ,two lads round our way have done that you may know them John Wayne and the othe tonto......

Thanks Dropsalot for your input.

In this case, the vinyl paper is glued on (to the point where it was impossible to get off in the first place, which is why I whipped out the paint, having seen it took half an hour for the sake of scraping off a few mm and classic hot water sponging didn't deliver)

And given the total amount of work to do on the place, I am praying for shortcuts..
So is there any product or secret technique that would assist me in the Great British Scrape-Off or do I just need to practise zen and patience, grow a long beard and have more tea breaks?

Don't plaster over paper....

You'll be sorreeeeyyy.

I plastered a bathroom once over thick artex , on closer inspection it revealed the artex was over several layers of wallpaper and was well and truly welded. "It won't come off cried the client". Then the labourer had a go "it still won't come off" he sobbed
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1495281219.361280.jpg

After a little lesson in the application of elbow grease.....several blisters later and we're back to plaster..look at his happy little face
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1495281325.833496.jpg

P.s. Score the wall with a knife and soak with hot water with vinegar makes it come away easier