Old school ,simple

johniosaif

Private Member
started a new job on Monday , a £3m house that's having £2m spent on it .
I wanted to push pure finish or even dura but the builder said that there wasn't any extra included so I ordered 2 pallets of board finish from. Ccf, beads ,scrim etc from one of the usual (r and j)
It's been lovely to use ,two hits per room ,can't seem to get a third hit on, age/ tiredness/ aches etc ,ninety percent finished with the mt ,last rub with a SF , no speedskim or spat , normally on jobs like this ,I buy new spats but funds are low so it's the basics , I like the SF trowels and spats but the damage easily, I probably sound like a dinosaur to some . There should be decent money in this job but it's the last day that tells you that .

I wanted to push pure finish or even dura but the builder said that there wasn't any extra included so I ordered 2 pallets of board finish from. Ccf, beads ,scrim etc from one of the usual (r and j)
It's been lovely to use ,two hits per room ,can't seem to get a third hit on, age/ tiredness/ aches etc ,ninety percent finished with the mt ,last rub with a SF , no speedskim or spat , normally on jobs like this ,I buy new spats but funds are low so it's the basics , I like the SF trowels and spats but the damage easily, I probably sound like a dinosaur to some . There should be decent money in this job but it's the last day that tells you that .

And your question is??

No way are you a dinosaur, nearly all of us prefer different trowels etc imo it's person thing what trowels we all use ,
Pushing the pure and dura makes you modern man or definitely open minded more plasterers should do the same , or at least try

IMG_3374.JPG
I've overdone it lately buying all sorts I got a bit tired of it all today pissing around this is my favourite trowel and best skimmer, 13 inch refina premium I need to resist the temptation of messing around trying to find new ways of doing things. Keep it simple.

View attachment 19302 I've overdone it lately buying all sorts I got a bit tired of it all today pissing around this is my favourite trowel and best skimmer, 13 inch refina premium I need to resist the temptation of messing around trying to find new ways of doing things. Keep it simple.
Me too I think just sorted my ox now, it's nice , gonna keep it to a basic collection and that's it, no more trowels this year!

IMG_9794.JPG

I'm having one last splurge next week at tool fair in Coventry then I'm done

I always go back to this trowel it's my old reliable, I've broken in that nice little 12 inch carbon mt I bought a few weeks ago I've got my nela premium for rendering and a permaflex for polishing I just don't need anything else I had the spat out today a sponge float and even the plazzi, it's tiring getting it all out of the van let alone trying to find a job for it all. I'm always trying to improve and find easier way of doing things but it is actually making life more difficult now. No more!

I always go back to this trowel it's my old reliable, I've broken in that nice little 12 inch carbon mt I bought a few weeks ago I've got my nela premium for rendering and a permaflex for polishing I just don't need anything else I had the spat out today a sponge float and even the plazzi, it's tiring getting it all out of the van let alone trying to find a job for it all. I'm always trying to improve and find easier way of doing things but it is actually making life more difficult now. No more!

the temps changing now mate....i stick to same trowels ...just timed it a bit later.
no need for spats and sponging and all that shite (y)

John sorry can't understand if you're saying it's a £3 perm job getting £2 per m spent or is it 3 million and having 2 million spent
Anyway whatever what's pure finish mate never heard of it?

John sorry can't understand if you're saying it's a £3 perm job getting £2 per m spent or is it 3 million and having 2 million spent
Anyway whatever what's pure finish mate never heard of it?
Hi spunky , £3m the house was bought for ,£2 m is the refurb cost ,
Pure finish is a fairly new plaster that BG brought out, it's purpose is to rid the air of some impurities, health benefits basically for the occupants of the house,

That's the problem, you have to pre order it, like uni or dura , it's BG shoo I got themselves in the foot by not having it easily got

Lets face it, nobody is going to store a pallet of overpriced plaster in their living room in hope that Mrs Jones appreciates the clean air that the 2 and a bit bags used on her ceiling will create.

It's all bollox mate!

You're being spun a good 'un by the Mothership and first commander Vincey.

Lets face it, nobody is going to store a pallet of overpriced plaster in their living room in hope that Mrs Jones appreciates the clean air that the 2 and a bit bags used on her ceiling will create.

It's all bollox mate!

If only you knew , I agree with what your saying, if it was available to buy per bag locally ,you would be tempted,it's nice to use

It's all bollox mate!

Lol first commander

It is nice gear only £8 too

I try these new toys and always go back to basic,s only one I like is plastic but only use that when I,m finished anyway so sacked it as

I went back to how I was taught a while back as felt over complicating things and used one trowel all the way through and felt better for it although last week brought a sf speed skim and a nela medi flex and ain't had a chance to use them yet,sometimes it's better going back to basics,it's what ever suits me I ain't against trying new stuff and if it works I'm happy although I'm a bit weak at perseverance with new stuff if I can't get on with it after 2 days and ends up sitting in the van,I'm after a cork/wooden handle tyzack next as that's what I learnt on and yes if it's a wooden handle I will be sanding it down (y)

If only you knew , I agree with what your saying, if it was available to buy per bag locally ,you would be tempted,it's nice to use

i agree completely Pure finish is very nice to use its a lot like multi used to be before they lost the recipe and started slinging coal in the bags.
I'll leave the science behind it to brighter blokes then me but I should imagine you would get the same effect by opening the window for 30mins a day (Maybe).

Just done a big job using Dura and Pure finish. The pure is the best finish I've used from BG. Dura is the worst. When you walked in the rooms skimmed with pure the air was lovely fresh and clean like an evening stroll through a summer meadow full of wild flowers. Wow us all I can say well done BG

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just done a big job using Dura and Pure finish. The pure is the best finish I've used from BG. Dura is the worst. When you walked in the rooms skimmed with pure the air was lovely fresh and clean like an evening stroll through a summer meadow full of wild flowers. Wow us all I can say well done BG

Wild flowers in a meadow lol

It's nice gear ,like all finish you will have good days and bad with it ,

It's nice gear ,like all finish you will have good days and bad with it ,
Don't get me wrong you can get a nice finish with Dura. Bit of a learning curve. On price I just found you gotta work harder to get a nice finish and price work is hard enough as it is. Pure genuinely is in my opinion the nicest finishs I've used from BG.

Don't get me wrong you can get a nice finish with Dura. Bit of a learning curve. On price I just found you gotta work harder to get a nice finish and price work is hard enough as it is. Pure genuinely is in my opinion the nicest finishs I've used from BG.

Pure is great for the last hit , much faster than multi

While we are on the pure finish topic is there anyone in the East Midlands that wants some , same problem for getting the good gear at the minute still pallet order only I've got a mate who'll split some of a pallet with me but could do with 1 or 2 more as I only need 14 bags for a job , tbh I'd have the whole pallet but at minute my storage is full

Anyone in East Midlands interested in jumping in on splitting pallet? it would be £112 for 14 bags

So why don't they just scrap multi, replace it with pure at 8 quid for the elite & leave board finish for the rest of us in the cheap seats?

I did 2 jobs in the same day a couple of weeks ago, and I can't tell you just how differently the same batch of plaster behaved from a wet morning to a warm, windy afternoon.

To be honest after a week on the Limelight Finish, a couple of bags of board finish felt like heaven yesterday.

Just subtle changes in weather, mood or environment make a big difference .... We are the divas of the building trade!

Ha ha! Yeah.. until its all covered over with paint and then thats the end of it!