New one on me !

Smudger1

Started a hack n dash job this morning one of them home loan grants through local council grants dept.
The brick work behind is fooked, old 1/4 grey dash on it is solid but old mortar between bricks is perished, The render is holding ext brick skin together & in place, so after opening up a couple of areas i gets grant boyo out to decide if he wants to pay for a new ext skin or rebed in sections as we go :envidioso Fek no says he theres no more money in the job and wall ties need doing before render so after i let him flap a while the inevitable " what would you do ? says he " leave render on and stainless steel lath it sbsr n render over after ties done through render which can be done after a bit of messing about but the hack off saved should cover that :envidioso

Right the new thing , i only if needed have used stainless steel lath/mesh with sand cement render but he reckons building control had similar prob on job he was running and instructed ewi cloth mesh used in render coat, i only used that stuff in ewi work not in ordinary compo, what you reckon ?
s/steel mesh would cost a lot and if theres no money for it would ewi mesh n sbr be strong enough in ordinary render ? i have doubt about it as light weight and cement content would burn it brittle making it a waste of time ?

I said just do full ewi over but he said its had cavity crap insulation done so not an option money wise and planning / regs already in for hack n dash !

Got other regs guy coming out for another opinion cos id be happy with s/steel mesh to do it right but some of those guys dont know thier arse from their elbows !

I had a couple of jobs over the years where we rebuilt the external skins and tied in where the brickwork was perished, but the money was there on them Also where i had to use the s/steel mesh on a few other jobs they are still solid and looking good.

The end :whistle:

Last edited:
Blimey.
Sounds like he wants a lot for a little.
Let the client sleep on it and then tell him you can't s**t miracles, and no-one polishes a turd.
There is only one "right" way ......you know what should happen.

Ive used the mesh on my last five sand and cement jobs, bedded it in with the scratch and then another tight coat over the top and scratch.

I did one last year with GPR loose bricks the lot . Mesh in scratch as above and it is solid as a rock (mates house)

Ive used the mesh on my last five sand and cement jobs, bedded it in with the scratch and then another tight coat over the top and scratch.

That's good to know that someone who also knows his stuff on here has done it, it's just I ain't seen a spec showing ewi mesh used in ordinary sand cement so wasn't sure it would do the job, good thing is on this one, building control be making the final decision and if say mesh in the coat so be it, it'll be one to keep an eye on over next couple of years to see how it performs.

Any other opinions before the jokes kick in ? :p

Also while I got you on one of my property's quite a few years back when I was first getting into ewi stuff I did it in k rend finish, looked great for first few years then started to stain up what with pollution and trees around also a few small tares here n there . I power washed it back a couple of times but never looks as good as when on first, so I'm planning on painting it ! I remember a thread a good while back about prepping k tend for painting but can't find it. Any advice lads ?

Last edited:
i dont think id get it clean and tidy looking enough to seal it if clear seal, or is there colour in paraguard ?
Sorry I picked you up wrong, I thought you was doing another one in k rend but wanted to paint it. You can get a paint that matches the original colour of your k rend and has the sparkly bits in it. Forget name of company but I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you.

just a pressure washer, but its pretty mucky with green moss and other pollution that i doubt id get it as clean looking as original so ive decided im going to paint it cos every 5 years or so a quick lick of paint will keep it looking good, just that i thought i remembered a thread on here ages ago about how you need to prep k rend before painting over it ?

just a pressure washer, but its pretty mucky with green moss and other pollution that i doubt id get it as clean looking as original so ive decided im going to paint it cos every 5 years or so a quick lick of paint will keep it looking good, just that i thought i remembered a thread on here ages ago about how you need to prep k rend before painting over it ?

ah I see... I am sure there are some render chemicals that can get that back sparkling then you could seal it with render sealer... The thought of having to repaint something every 5 years just bugs the crap out of me :D

@Orangemachineman @malc @Jgreenplastering @Rigsby may have mentioned the chemicals failing that @K Rend....

I did think of chemical clean and seal but there is also a large patch at the apex area of the pine end that looks like the surface has shed a bit over the years too and does`nt look like the rest anymore, not to terrible but bugs me and paint will make it all look the same, it be fairly easy to paint take a few days off my treble ladders :confused:

I did think of chemical clean and seal but there is also a large patch at the apex area of the pine end that looks like the surface has shed a bit over the years too and does`nt look like the rest anymore, not to terrible but bugs me and paint will make it all look the same, it be fairly easy to paint take a few days off my treble ladders :confused:

ah fair enough :D

At least now i can inform the regs inspector that i have consulted my learn-ed friends on here that its ok to bed ewi mesh into sand, cement render if he so wishes :musculoso:

I`ve got about 2/3 of a roll of mesh left here, whos doing best prices per roll ? its only a semi about 130m2 but handy to keep some in stock.

K Rend have a product called Algae Clean which I use once a year on the areas that I experience algae staining on my walls. I spray this stuff on and the staining is gone in days !!!. Spoke to one of their people at a self build show in Belfast a few weeks ago and he showed me K Pro which I am going to paint onto my walls when the weather improves as it repels water which I guess will keep it cleaner.

It does, what make and ref: do you ask for with the bigger hole mesh, beats asking reps on here ;)
Danny you got anything ?