nearly finished my first year college

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu412

hi all just finishing off my first year of my college plastering course, have been slowly buying some tools ready for work i am staying on for a second year at college but hoping to try and get some smaller jobs i can take on in the mean time and while i'm on my second year. what i'm struggling with at the minute is size of jobs that i might look to take on as the wall areas at most at college at the min are only around 5m2 with window opening and returns so i'm unsure of what i may be able to manage in the real world bearing in mind i will be by myself mixing up etc. the thing is i don't want to take on too much too start an end up costing me to complete the job or give myself a bad name before i've even started so any advice welcome. also i know pricing can be a bit hush hush but what would people consider a reasonable prices to offer as i dont want to be one of these working my nuts off to get every job just to earn few quid an undercut everyone an nor do i want to overprice cheers guys im in the north cambs area if that helps

start by doing small jobs at home, friends and family. Obviously if you're at a stage where you aren't sure on the quantity's required then best to over allow as last thing you want to do is run out towards the end. Bear in mind as a beginner walls with windows, doors and alcoves etc will take you longer. Practice is all it takes

Hi I have been teaching plastering in college for the last ten years, and what I tell my students, is start small to gain your confidence, remember the work place is a totally differ environment to the college workshop.Continue to develop your skills and knowledge of the trade, I have a book that is aimed at the first and second year students, it is very popular with my students, title Plastering Basic Plastering Skills, view from my web site plastering Books - plastering books ,books on plastering for the trade, and DIY market .Good luck keep up your training , enroll for your second year, Hope that helps

Take the hit on love jobs first ie do them for nowt for family and pocket money for friends remember you are still learning and as such should not really be expecting peep's to pay good money for you to learn. I know it sounds counter intuitive to work for next to nowt but it will pay dividends in the long run.

no i understand where your coming from and i do have some people i know that want some work doing and for them have already said i will do it for drink as long as they buy materials. as for the mix at the min im ok at getting a good amount without too much waste but thats on the same size walls ive been working on all year so things will change when faced with something bigger i just dont want to say yes to anything and then realise half way through **** i cant finish this

no i understand where your coming from and i do have some people i know that want some work doing and for them have already said i will do it for drink as long as they buy materials. as for the mix at the min im ok at getting a good amount without too much waste but thats on the same size walls ive been working on all year so things will change when faced with something bigger i just dont want to say yes to anything and then realise half way through **** i cant finish this
In a way you have answerd your own question there in that you already know your limitations. From this point your next objective should be to build up the quality and speed on what you are now comfortable doing. When you get to the point where you feel what you are doing is getting to be too easy that's when you take on a bit more and stretch your limit. It takes time and will take longer for yourself if you are not working with a descent spread or squad every day. Accept this and the fact you aint gonna make descent money for probably a couple of years at least and you will get there.
Just trying to keep it real for ya young'n :RpS_thumbup:

lol i aint no young'n raggles im 32 with family an kids etc, an yes not the best choice of trade to get into at my age some say but have spent years working for myself an cant really hack the idea of working for a large company as such and due to my wife only being part time and me out of work for a while i decided to retrain in something that i could one day go it alone an earn a bit. i aint like some i dont expect to get rich but just want to be able to be in charge of my own future and provide for my family. but i agree with what you say and it makes total sense about getting better and faster at the sizes i do until it seems easy. and yes plastering books i have signed up for the second year that way i can continue to learn and progress even if i havent got any work coming in.

Over skim your own house just for practice. This will give you a better idea of time taken to dust sheet up Pva walls ceilings etc. try to treat it like a real job so time to get water and set up all count.

Walking into a college room is a bit different to skimming a h l s in a domestic house with kids and dogs in the way.

to be honest i could not teach plastering.while doing just jobbing.you need to be on site working with spreads banging on the metres every day.

yeah i did think of that carlos. if there is anyone near or around my area that would like a hand now and again the odd day around my college days please let me know, even if your not too keen on letting me on the trowel at first just to help an get more of an idea of plastering in the real world. also if it helps the course i am on has covered artex & coving and ceramic wall and floor tiling all i ask is to be treated fair

Hi I have been teaching plastering in college for the last ten years, and what I tell my students, is start small to gain your confidence, remember the work place is a totally differ environment to the college workshop.Continue to develop your skills and knowledge of the trade, I have a book that is aimed at the first and second year students, it is very popular with my students, title Plastering Basic Plastering Skills, view from my web site plastering Books - plastering books ,books on plastering for the trade, and DIY market .Good luck keep up your training , enroll for your second year, Hope that helps

Dave have a word with danny about advertising im sure your intentions are genuine but there are strict rules in place, maybe even give a few books away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.