Mesh for indoor plastering

LOIZOS

Hi,

I'm considering using the services of a plasterer who has recently (optionally) started using a mesh product on all interior walls and ceilings before skimming. It's SPS Envirowall and looks a lot like scrim tape on a giant roll. He puts it absolutely everywhere and PVA on top before skimming. The result is supposed to be more protection against cracks.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of using this on interiors and whether it's worth the additional cost and other pros / cons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm considering using the services of a plasterer who has recently (optionally) started using a mesh product on all interior walls and ceilings before skimming. It's SPS Envirowall and looks a lot like scrim tape on a giant roll. He puts it absolutely everywhere and PVA on top before skimming. The result is supposed to be more protection against cracks.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of using this on interiors and whether it's worth the additional cost and other pros / cons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Perfect where needed but def not on every single job.
Some will benefit from it some won't.
Sounds like he's either just started using it so is a little over excited or is a belt and braces man.
I don't think a chancer would entertain the extra work involved to use it so you may have a good one and I'd say let him crack on. Doubt he's charging the earth to use it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it where there's cracks all over the show. Not SPS Envirowall. Some cheap generic one I get off eBay. I don't cover the whole room in it like wallpaper, though. Just where it's needed. Will use fibres on ceilings if I can.

Hi,

Thanks!
It will do more good than harm

Thanks for the responses. I have a 1900s house and there are cracks all over the place so I guess from the comments here it sounds worth doing. Is there anything wrong with tbe SPS Envirowall fibre or is it just 'overkill' for the job at hand? Also, other plasterers have told me to do a layer or hardwall everywhere instead. I must say it's confusing but I appreciate the response that the mesh does more good than harm. That's what I needed to hear!

Thanks for the responses. I have a 1900s house and there are cracks all over the place so I guess from the comments here it sounds worth doing. Is there anything wrong with tbe SPS Envirowall fibre or is it just 'overkill' for the job at hand? Also, other plasterers have told me to do a layer or hardwall everywhere instead. I must say it's confusing but I appreciate the response that the mesh does more good than harm. That's what I needed to hear!
Definitely not a Layer of hardwall,

Why hardwall? Are there damp issues? Or walls that have big lumps of plaster falling out? Maybe too bad even for the scrim

If it's an old house that has movement it might cause more cracks.
What might cause more cracks? The mesh or the hardwall?

I think some plasterers I've spoken with use a layer of hardwall over the cracks first and then pva and then skim. But I'm no expert. So far we've just cut out any big cracks back to lath and plaster and then applied bonding to rectify the issues. To be honest, the place hasn't been decorated for probably 15-20 years and they just papered over the cracks before presumably so it may not be that bad in terms of cracks given the age of the property and when it was last decorated.

The wall not being able to move because of the mesh, I wouldn't use bonding on that type of property, have you got any pics?

I skim over this a lot, I always use mesh, it's the business.don't cut corners, do yourself a favor and use it. (And don't use hardwall, not designed for Victorian overskims....the worst product you could use)

Here are some pics showing where bonding was applied to deal with larger cracks, general hairline cracks above doors and ceilings and otherwise general condition of walls ready for plaster/mesh.

IMG_4563.PNG
IMG_4564.PNG
IMG_4565.PNG

I skim over this a lot, I always use mesh, it's the business.don't cut corners, do yourself a favor and use it. (And don't use hardwall, not designed for Victorian overskims....the worst product you could use)
Thanks for the info. What mesh product do you use, and should it matter much?

It doesn't matter if you put mesh or not . It will
Crack in no time again. You are using the wrong product for it . Clues are in every picture. You need flexible product, not bonding or gypsum based one.

Crack in no time again. You are using the wrong product for it . Clues are in every picture. You need flexible product, not bonding or gypsum based one.

Flexible product?

Can you please elaborate on what product should be used?

Sometimes the plaster is better off being removed and the walls and ceilings completely replastered. I know the cost rises etc and the additional mess but if you can afford it this is the best way to solve these problems. Reskimming is just hiding or covering up an underlying issue that needs to be addressed, and will more than likely reappear in the not to distant future.

Sometimes the plaster is better off being removed and the walls and ceilings completely replastered. I know the cost rises etc and the additional mess but if you can afford it this is the best way to solve these problems. Reskimming is just hiding or covering up an underlying issue that needs to be addressed, and will more than likely reappear in the not to distant future.
I 100% agree but it's too expensive and messy while we are living here and don't have that option. Thanks for the input.

Can you please elaborate on what product should be used?

Lime or bauwer, either is way better than gypsum which doesn't help old buildings at all . Wood constructions move a lot and keeping the moisture within the wall doesn't help keeping it in good shape.Bugs will love it tho, but not the beam on the last picture.Anyway, I see you have made your mind and if that's the option at the moment so be it .

Lime or bauwer, either is way better than gypsum which doesn't help old buildings at all . Wood constructions move a lot and keeping the moisture within the wall doesn't help keeping it in good shape.Bugs will love it tho, but not the beam on the last picture.Anyway, I see you have made your mind and if that's the option at the moment so be it .
Interesting. Is this a case of asking the plaster to use something other than multifinish or is it a completely different approach. I suppose I should discuss with them but I doubt they've used lime or bauwer before...

Interesting. Is this a case of asking the plaster to use something other than multifinish or is it a completely different approach. I suppose I should discuss with them but I doubt they've used lime or bauwer before...

You've already said you don't want the proper option which will be more expensive so skim with/without mesh is your only option.

If your not willing to have it done properly then you have to settle for what you can budget for. It's a simple job really, there is no need for all the questions as your budget restricts your options.

That's not a dig mind your just over complicating something that shouldn't be complicated.

You've already said you don't want the proper option which will be more expensive so skim with/without mesh is your only option.

If your not willing to have it done properly then you have to settle for what you can budget for. It's a simple job really, there is no need for all the questions as your budget restricts your options.

That's not a dig mind your just over complicating something that shouldn't be complicated.

My question (probably a naive one) was should I ask them to skim with something other than a multifinish gypsum on top e.g. The lime based options you raised. This would increase the cost of materials a bit but not nearly as much as ripping off the old and starting again (and the dust consequences of doing that while we are living here). Final question on this!

My question (probably a naive one) was should I ask them to skim with something other than a multifinish gypsum on top e.g. The lime based options you raised. This would increase the cost of materials a bit but not nearly as much as ripping off the old and starting again (and the dust consequences of doing that while we are living here). Final question on this!
You can't use lime over gypsum! Next time you are willing to do it the right way hack off the existing plaster and use lime with hair .Now, let the plasterer do what you agreed on and don't be mumsnetknowseverything guy !

Not naive at all.
Your not professional so that why you ask questions.
What you shouldn't do is ask for advice then go against the advice given and then continue to ask questions.
We use trowels not Wands, therefore we cannot create magic. We are only to do what a clients budget or choice allows.
You cannot expect any guarantee if you go against the advice given or limit the tradesman in anyway from doing what is the correct way of carrying out there job.

Easiest comparison - if you have brake pads and discs that need changing but only want to change the pads then your new ones won't last as long as they would if you had both the pads and discs replaced.

Hope that helps.

Not naive at all.
Your not professional so that why you ask questions.
What you shouldn't do is ask for advice then go against the advice given and then continue to ask questions.
We use trowels not Wands, therefore we cannot create magic. We are only to do what a clients budget or choice allows.
You cannot expect any guarantee if you go against the advice given or limit the tradesman in anyway from doing what is the correct way of carrying out there job.

Easiest comparison - if you have brake pads and discs that need changing but only want to change the pads then your new ones won't last as long as they would if you had both the pads and discs replaced.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does but I don't think your comment about me going against the advice is fair. The first few responses seemed to suggest mesh and skim was a good option (yourself included) and later others chimed in with other suggestions which to me were vague like 'use a flexible product'. I thought I might still be able to skim and use the right product, hence my confusion and need to ask more questions. The reason I came on here to ask the question in the first place was because of all the contradictory advice I've received. I understand your analogy and again appreciate all your responses on here. Thanks again.