Marks on newly skimmed wall help and advice please

SueGask

Hi, bedroom had a walls re skimmed and although it is clearly still drying the two external walls and a couple of smaller areas on the internal walls all have these marks on. My plasterer said to just buy some zinseer cover stain. Do I just cover the marks or all the walls. The marks cover a large area. Not planning to even do mist coat yet but leave it a while longer. Would you need a must coat over the stain block ?
Not suggesting it is anyone fault, just wanting to solve the issue .All help greatfully received

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_122003386.jpg
    IMG_20231120_122003386.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20231120_121958585.jpg
    IMG_20231120_121958585.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 116
Hi, bedroom had a walls re skimmed and although it is clearly still drying the two external walls and a couple of smaller areas on the internal walls all have these marks on. My plasterer said to just buy some zinseer cover stain. Do I just cover the marks or all the walls. The marks cover a large area. Not planning to even do mist coat yet but leave it a while longer. Would you need a must coat over the stain block ?
Not suggesting it is anyone fault, just wanting to solve the issue .All help greatfully received
What was the original background before re-plastering?

Can't see on my phone but it doesn't matter. Mist coat first and then block anything that comes through.

Paint as normal.

Hi it was a real mixture of woodchip on the top complete with numerous layers of white paint, once that was removed there was older paper then also paint under that. House is 120 year old and I think we pretty much removed everything that had ever been on the wall.

Hi it was a real mixture of woodchip on the top complete with numerous layers of white paint, once that was removed there was older paper then also paint under that. House is 120 year old and I think we pretty much removed everything that had ever been on the wall.
Crickey, did you sugar soap all the walls prior to plastering?

No, we didn't. We stripped it back to the base layer and we weren't asked to do that. Do you think it's residue from the paste coming back through . It was such a long messy job it wouldn't surprise me.

Attachments

• IMG_20231020_125125550.jpg
    IMG_20231020_125125550.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
No, we didn't. We stripped it back to the base layer and we weren't asked to do that. Do you think it's residue from the paste coming back through . It was such a long messy job it wouldn't surprise me.
did your spread not recommend to you to remove existing and put a new background up?
why do some people think a coat of skim will solve all their problems, re-skims are purely cosmetic and will only ever be as good as the substrate you're going onto

:rolleyes:
100yrs of shite grinning through.
A professional plasterer would have advised you on this. Best step forward would be to use a quality stain block before decorating. All the best and one last thing did you go with the cheapest quote?

Mist coat then probably be better just giving the room a coat of oil based undercoat. Cheaper than stain block and much easier to use. Recon that's distemper bleeding through so the whole lot will need sealed.
Good luck
S & P