Lowering my prices or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydave

Been thinking about giving cheaper prices for the last couple of months.Charging £150 a day is starting to lose me jobs. Tough decision to make. Do you go in cheaper to try and ensure you stay in work or hold out for what you think your worth? Diesel,materials,insurance etc not getting any cheaper.

Thats quite a cheeky one Dave, I've always stood me ground and never budged, and it always seems to come good. Just depends where you are in the country, theres generally always something around the corner.

you have room for negotiation there with most spreads i know charging less but it would be nice to think you could keep your rates up. like you say about fuel i did a job recently and the O&P i had in for it was used up completely on diesel. try knock a tenner off instead of anything drastic first

Just got a call back from a customer i spoke to yesterday accepting a price i gave them for a loft conversion. Put me in a better mood, now off to see the Dentist,aaaahhhh.

see dave just hold out till the summer m8 as said before drop a tener but dont mug yourself off
round here down the road from you im on £130/£120 a day
have you got the full job or just the skimming is it round here

see dave just hold out till the summer m8 as said before drop a tener but dont mug yourself off
round here down the road from you im on £130/£120 a day
have you got the full job or just the skimming is it round here

What job is that?

re. Lowering price

I went to the dentist tonight too! The dentist said i only needed a shallow filling and if i wanted an injection or not.

Due to lack of better judgement and the fact his assistant is a hottie i thought i'd Rambo it to impress the little minx, all went well until the drilling started followed swiftly by my screaming!! :RpS_unsure: In short my tooth is killing me and no dice with the little hussy! Doh!

The dentist is always in a hurry to knock off when i go, as i always get later appointments due to work. Maybe i'll just go when i'm told to in future!.

As for your price situation, i'd hold firm 150 isn't unreasonable and i think a lot of builders are using this recession as an excuse to take the piss a bit. That's my thoughts anyway mate. Cheers

me and my mate looked at a job here in brum saturday.....it was 2 and half weeks work for the pair of us round the corner £110 a day each,loads of boarding, skimming,bit of rendering,hes supplying mats....anyway we wanted 2800 for the job,i gave him the price of 2650 in the end just to get the work...so i rang him with it and he said its to high as ive got two more quotes,1 at 1600 and another at wait foor it 1200....i told him to crack on then...i mean ffs how can you compete.....

Drop your prices and prolong the recession............. If YOU have less money in your pocket, you spend less in the pub, so the landlord has less in HIS pocket, so he delays paying his accountant, who decides not to hire an architect to draw up plans for a new office, so the architect tells the QS that there's a recession on. Keep spending, landlord's happy, accountant gets paid, builds his new office and QS sees that there's money in the sytem. If we all stop spending, the economy stops, cos money DOES make the world go round:RpS_thumbup: A simplified argument, but ya get the idea yah?

Quality not quanity mate we've all been there.I posted a add looking now am flat out try not to drop as your quality will shine through.saying that believing in your quality won't pay the mortgage.good luck pal

BAgrat where in Liverpool are u based? And where did you place ad to get busy in Liverpool.

i like your logic bubble.
ive found it feast or famine to be honest,hardest part is getting paid off feckers nowadays,especially developers,some are 60 day merchants.some tool still owes me a good 5 figure amount so may be court job.
at least you only have yourself,once you get staff, mulitipul vans,yard overheads,sorting vat returns,mega morgage, mrs that spends like, money is going out of fashion :-0
then you get sleepless nights.

I've had half a dozen or so working for me before owls, didn't like it cos I'm a control freak - no-one could/would do it my way, chasing debts up like ya say, and - worst of all, having to put a job right that I trusted a right w*nker to do properly..........and premises/vehicle costs............and debt-collecting for builders merchants (or that's what it felt like!).............yeah mate the list is endless, quite happy plodding away on me own, at the minute I've about 6 weeks work in front of me, with enquiries coming in at a steady rate (50:50 split between new customers and regulars) advertising costs for the year will be about £350 -£400, but every one of them pays. One of the first questions I ask when getting telephone enquiry is "Where did you get my name", then I write it down so I am sure that I am advertising in the right place.:RpS_thumbup:

me and my mate looked at a job here in brum saturday.....it was 2 and half weeks work for the pair of us round the corner £110 a day each,loads of boarding, skimming,bit of rendering,hes supplying mats....anyway we wanted 2800 for the job,i gave him the price of 2650 in the end just to get the work...so i rang him with it and he said its to high as ive got two more quotes,1 at 1600 and another at wait foor it 1200....i told him to crack on then...i mean ffs how can you compete.....

This is precisely why i started this thread. Do these customers expect a proper job to be done?

its all down to individuals and what you charge is up to you.put it this way i d rather have something than nothing.if its an "easy" job why not price it a bit cheaper to make sure you get it if its hard priceit accordingly.

as for you owls i do not envy you one jot,ive beenthere got the t shirt and will never wear it again,and i was doing what your doing in usa where i found it a lot easier to get paid cud nt imagine doing it in the uk

i priced a job late last year,upstairs of a detatched house,downstairs had been done:RpS_scared:,anyhoo,gave the pratt the price he said "**** me,thats more than i paid to do downstairs",
this is while he has a labourer sanding the new downstairs plastering with a electric sander to get all the tram lines out,,the dick,
i just went ":RpS_lol::RpS_lol::RpS_lol::RpS_lol::RpS_thumbup::RpS_thumbup::RpS_thumbup:,ok,seeya mate,carry on with the good job"

about the pricing as well,the day rate i charge,i charge for my lad who served his time with me,and i charge 3/4 of that rate for my 2y apprentice,who can spread as well

Don't drop your prices, things'll pick up soon and people will still want you work for nothing.

stick to your guns you only feel like you have been raped after :RpS_crying: dont short change your self genuine customers will always come back to a good spread penny pinchin bastardds wount :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.