Lime plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragonard

Hi,

This is my first post on here.

I sonder if somebody can help me? I'm hoping to decorate a house which has lime plaster throughout. Every inch of it is covered in wall-papper. I would like to strip off the wall-papper and paint it. Will I need to skim this in order to get a nice finnish once it's painted? And if so, what type of skim? Thanks.

Thanks jessop. I won't be able to do anything until next week. What would be my options if the surface isn't good enough? Hopefully, I won't have to take it all down and start again.

Strip the paper off then reassess. Maybe lining paper then paint, or straight paint or over skim. but get it off first then have a look.

I tried stripping the wallpaper today using the steamer and on the whole it came off really well. But in some places, some kind or residue was left and very difficult to clean off. Might it be some kind of adhasive? But I'm not sure why it should be so stubborn in some locations and not others.

AdcarPlastering,
It is actually for myself and not a customer. Is it possible to have a gypsum finish on a lime plastered wall?

A kind of pollyfilla which decorators use in order to smooth out uneven surfaces in the lime plaster and then sandpaper. He said that gypsum won't bond well on lime plaster and that in time it could well fall away.

Google it would be best. Where are you? @Curry is the man for this if your local to him

Last edited by a moderator:
@Curry I get u use airless on board and over skim what about plain block walls or rendered walls do u board them or just use the backing coat over them?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an image of the wall which I have stripped of wallpaper. It's actually the worst part. Most of it was much better in terms of plaster not peeling off. What do you think?

Lime plaster
[/URL][/IMG]

to be honest your better off getting a plasterer to pop round and have a look with you. There are many good honest guys on here that can do that for you.

A kind of pollyfilla which decorators use in order to smooth out uneven surfaces in the lime plaster and then sandpaper. He said that gypsum won't bond well on lime plaster and that in time it could well fall away.

Is he Polish?

You can plaster over lime with multi finish, just prime the walls with Febond Blue grit or similar first to get a key and kill the suction.

Is he Polish?

You can plaster over lime with multi finish, just prime the walls with Febond Blue grit or similar first to get a key and kill the suction.

Love a bit of polish
[video=youtube_share;xh-BUdZ4Z3M]https://youtu.be/xh-BUdZ4Z3M[/video]

No prep required. Yes it does need a light sand after but its a piece of piss.

Ive been trying to trowel it up as well but not perfected it yet but I think with the right timings it will be possible.

Ive got this place to do in the next few weeks 3000m2 so will have perfected it by then

Lime plaster

Water butt over flowed first day thats how I convinced them pre mixed was the way forward

No prep required. Yes it does need a light sand after but its a piece of piss.

Ive been trying to trowel it up as well but not perfected it yet but I think with the right timings it will be possible.

Ive got this place to do in the next few weeks 3000m2 so will have perfected it by then

Lime plaster

What happens if you need to dub out/patch areas first...what do you use? and can you go direct over painted surfaces?

Dub out in gypsum filler which dont shrink. 60 min set

Yes you can go straight over more or less any surface

Dub out in gypsum filler which dont shrink. 60 min set

Yes you can go straight over more or less any surface

What if you have a large area to patch or a whole wall to do, would you still go over the top with this once you had floated the wall with hardwall/sand cement etc or would you need to wait for the backing coat to dry or just use multi??

They do another premixed which can be applied to block/brick.

mp75 would also work but the wall
wouldnt be breathable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.