Lime Plaster sourcing, mixing, and curing

Members online

iain23

Hello, first post on this forum, so apologies up front if I'm repeating any common DIY issues...

We have a Victorian mid-terrace, and I'm currently renovating the spare bedroom. I've done my research, and have settled on going down the wood-fibre IWI route, however, sourcing plaster has become a nightmare.

The major brands out there all look great, but the non-trade prices along with the delivery costs (we're in the midlands, and I can't find a single supplier within a 90 minute drive) are incredibly high. I'm also concerned that if I need more plaster at any point, I'm at the mercy of the online building merchants once again.

So I have two questions (I'm hoping number 1 is possible), and people on here might have some tips for me:

1. Mixing our own plaster would save us hundreds of pounds, and I can then sleep soundly in the knowledge that my local building merchant will well all of the ingredients for us to mix up some more. If I chose to go down this route (mixing a brown coat for repairs, fine coat for finishing and skimming), will the mix perform equally as well as the ready mixed commercial offerings?

2. Does anybody know of any lime plaster suppliers in the midlands?

Lastly, I've read a lot about lime plaster having a very long cure time; 90 days in many cases. Does this mean that I can't install the wood-fibre boards until after the plaster has fully cured? Or can install the boards after the appropriate drying time for the levelling coat?

Thank you in advance, Iain

The reason lime is not popular is it is expensive and slow. Modern plasters are cheap and quick. I would use insulated plasterboard and multi finish. Then you can take the family on a cruise with the money that you have saved!

Hello, first post on this forum, so apologies up front if I'm repeating any common DIY issues...

We have a Victorian mid-terrace, and I'm currently renovating the spare bedroom. I've done my research, and have settled on going down the wood-fibre IWI route, however, sourcing plaster has become a nightmare.

The major brands out there all look great, but the non-trade prices along with the delivery costs (we're in the midlands, and I can't find a single supplier within a 90 minute drive) are incredibly high. I'm also concerned that if I need more plaster at any point, I'm at the mercy of the online building merchants once again.

So I have two questions (I'm hoping number 1 is possible), and people on here might have some tips for me:

1. Mixing our own plaster would save us hundreds of pounds, and I can then sleep soundly in the knowledge that my local building merchant will well all of the ingredients for us to mix up some more. If I chose to go down this route (mixing a brown coat for repairs, fine coat for finishing and skimming), will the mix perform equally as well as the ready mixed commercial offerings?

2. Does anybody know of any lime plaster suppliers in the midlands?

Lastly, I've read a lot about lime plaster having a very long cure time; 90 days in many cases. Does this mean that I can't install the wood-fibre boards until after the plaster has fully cured? Or can install the boards after the appropriate drying time for the levelling coat?

Thank you in advance, Iain
Mixing your own to apply to wood fibre board! What boards are you using? Pavatex or steico? So you’re putting lime backing coat on, then fixing the wood fibre boards to the backing and finishing with finishing plaster? I’m assuming gypsum?
Mate you’re onto a hiding to nothing! My advice is get a competent plasterer in and let them source their own materials and just pay them, trust me it’ll be worth it just for the lack of sleepless nights and constantly looking at what you’ve done and regretting it. If you do try it yourself then get someone in to put it right which most won’t, you’ll get dry holes on the cost and I think most on here will agree with me .

Mixing your own to apply to wood fibre board! What boards are you using? Pavatex or steico? So you’re putting lime backing coat on, then fixing the wood fibre boards to the backing and finishing with finishing plaster? I’m assuming gypsum?
Mate you’re onto a hiding to nothing! My advice is get a competent plasterer in and let them source their own materials and just pay them, trust me it’ll be worth it just for the lack of sleepless nights and constantly looking at what you’ve done and regretting it. If you do try it yourself then get someone in to put it right which most won’t, you’ll get dry holes on the cost and I think most on here will agree with me .
Steico. Lime backing seems like a pretty safe and manageable task, but self-mixed lime plaster not properly bonding to the wood fibre boards is where I'm most concerned.

I'm avoiding gypsum at all costs to be honest, regardless of workability and price. Everywhere in the house where we have cement render and gypsum skim has blown away from the wall, taking a good amount of the surrounding original render with it.

Steico. Lime backing seems like a pretty safe and manageable task, but self-mixed lime plaster not properly bonding to the wood fibre boards is where I'm most concerned.

I'm avoiding gypsum at all costs to be honest, regardless of workability and price. Everywhere in the house where we have cement render and gypsum skim has blown away from the wall, taking a good amount of the surrounding original render with it.
Site mix won’t adhere to the boards, and I can’t see why you’d be putting a lime backing on them the boards, it would make more sense to frame the wall then fix the boards to the frame and then plaster using a lime mix from an approved manufacturer.
As I said previously you’re on a hiding to nothing trying to do it yourself