Large void in between two internal plastered walls

Members online

No members online now.

Newasaurus

Hi all,
New to learning plastering and I thought the best way to get better is to practise on my own walls in my house. Although I've come across a little problem (actually a large and deep one) and unsure how best to tackle it.

I have an upstairs unused chimney breast wall with what I thought was perpendicular to an internal cinder block wall although upon taking off the 1000's of layers of wallpaper the plaster was falling out and crumbling away. I have a 4cm or so gap between the wall which is about 30cm deep with lots of wood squeezed in between the gap. Which I'd imagine was used to hold the old plaster.

This is a terrace house with this wall been the neighbours wall. No structural issues but just void between the two walls.

I been recommended to fill the void with as much expanding foam as possible and to then use bonding over the foam. Although I'm worried this will crack and fall away again. Would it be best to still fill the void with expanding foam and then fit some metal lath or mesh for the bonding to adhere to better? Or is there a glaringly obvious solution that would work best.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

James

Attachments

• 55A38A06-22B9-412F-AECA-57F49302192A.JPG
    55A38A06-22B9-412F-AECA-57F49302192A.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 88BC00D0-AC2C-4022-B8B0-C0AFAE483CA7.JPG
    88BC00D0-AC2C-4022-B8B0-C0AFAE483CA7.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 3840B0C6-F191-4A4B-A84D-A59530320B38.JPG
    3840B0C6-F191-4A4B-A84D-A59530320B38.JPG
    952.2 KB · Views: 26
  • A72B4788-2168-4D6A-8C3B-360AE21983DE.JPG
    A72B4788-2168-4D6A-8C3B-360AE21983DE.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Hi all,
New to learning plastering and I thought the best way to get better is to practise on my own walls in my house. Although I've come across a little problem (actually a large and deep one) and unsure how best to tackle it.

I have an upstairs unused chimney breast wall with what I thought was perpendicular to an internal cinder block wall although upon taking off the 1000's of layers of wallpaper the plaster was falling out and crumbling away. I have a 4cm or so gap between the wall which is about 30cm deep with lots of wood squeezed in between the gap. Which I'd imagine was used to hold the old plaster.

This is a terrace house with this wall been the neighbours wall. No structural issues but just void between the two walls.

I been recommended to fill the void with as much expanding foam as possible and to then use bonding over the foam. Although I'm worried this will crack and fall away again. Would it be best to still fill the void with expanding foam and then fit some metal lath or mesh for the bonding to adhere to better? Or is there a glaringly obvious solution that would work best.

Kind regards

James
Screw eml to the timber and bonding coat it back in . Damp down the existing crumbly backing first

Hi all,

Kind regards

James
This is the perfect example for Chrispy to explain the benefits of his favourite product!