high suction background

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmo72

hi guys gotta wall to do , the customers have taken wallpaper off and it has pulled the skim off back to the old render . the render when u touch is bone dry and crumbles when u touch it . is there a product that u can use to kill the suction . i thought about going over it wi hardwall but the skirting board is still on and the coving is aswell so hardwall not an option . i did a wall like this b4 just give it a couple of c oats of p.v.a and the wall just sucked the life out of the skim and went like crazy paving.cheers lads

Hi timmo
Couple of options really.
Several coats of pva 4:1 and let dry properly (overnight) then another 3:1 and go on it when tacky.
Personally I'd use Wickes bonding agent. It's polymer based kills the suction and provides a key on the smooth areas.
You have to give it about 4 hours to dry though.
There's also Thistle Bond it which is much the same but needs 24 hours to set.

cheers dpbeds ive got a tub of wba in the van . that will do it ok will it .also ive heard things about thistle bonbit any ideas wot thats like ? cheers does it kill all suction ? how much does it cost? and where dya get it from ??

not sure think you can work on it straight away brilliant for hardwall on thermalites like working on concrete blocks comes up yellow so you can see where you've painted knauf do one aswell

gypprime is similar to sbr its like a latex, 2 coats on the old render will kill the suction will dry pretty quickly to not sure where to get it from tho ive only ever come across once on site

f**k**g hell grand how do you win jobs if your pricing gypprime in with it ;D

have you sorted the crumbly render ;D.......i'd give it a good soak and pva it after or pva it the day before .......surely hardwall will be involved somewhere wont there mate

cant really do the hardwall cos still got skirting board on and coving aswell . did a job like this b4 and the skim just dried and cracked that was after about 5 coats of pva it was a nightmare . this gyprime how much is it and where dya get it from . or wouls it be best just to use me spare tub of wba ive got sitting in the van ?????

Gyprimes about £70 a tub mate i would use artex stabilex £15 for 5 litres should get it from good decorators shops like brewers and crown centres

Its not easy to get hold of tbh but it works well under wba it allows the wba to cure slowly and work better its worth keeping a tub on the van i allways use as a primer/ sealer and it works over distemper as well .

Status
Not open for further replies.