Hemp/Lime Plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening Scribes
I quoted a while ago for a job on an old cottage and asked your opinions on how best to tackle random limestone internal walls.
The chap has got back to me indicating I have got the job. He has now sent me a loooooooooong e-mail moving the goalposts in some areas. He has decided he wants it doing in Hemp/lime plaster and I can't say I know the product / procedure he is after.
If any of you have done backing this way I would appreciate some guidance/ product names.
cheers.

When I was a lad in the middle ages we did what was called lime work. The backing coat would be sand ,lime horsehair(to help it set a little faster we used to cheat with a little amount of plaster of paris in it). We also used a finishing coat of fine sand lime putty and plaster of paris in which we used to lay in hessian(hemp).it is not a job for a new user you have to get the mix just right to allow you time to roll out the hessian and rub it in with a crossgrain wooden float then carefully trowel it up in its own fat. If you get it wrong it will delaminate from the base coat. The other thing is your client may just be talking about haired cours stuff as a backing coat which can be purchased ready mixed from chard in Bristol.

Status
Not open for further replies.