Help please. Walls not straight after plasters have finished..

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno13

Hi to anyone who can offer some advise..

We’ve just had the walls plastered in the kitchen, diner and a room upstairs about a week ago. The kitchen fitter arrived to start the job and we’ve hit an issue, the walls are not straight. We’re talking vertically around 6-8 mm, horizontally 8-12 mm (so now more time is needed to fit he worktop flush) and a dip in the ceiling of over 12 mm.

We raised our concerns with the builder and got the response ‘you asked me to skim the walls, not make them straight. It’s your walls that are out’. I didn’t even know what skimming was at the beginning when we originally spoke about the job. We asked for the walls to be prepped for the kitchen to go in.

Are we expecting too much or is that a rubbish response?

I would have assumed a tolerance of maybe 5mm is reasonable, it looks as if they didn’t even run a spirit level over the walls at any point.

To add to the issues they’ve not plastered behind the radiators, when questioned on this ‘we didn’t have a plumber’. Even I know you can take a radiator off without a plumber. Really frustrating as I feel I’m being taken as a fool..

Thanks to anyone that can help,

If he has only reskimmed the walls he can only follow what is there, i usually discuss the removal of radiators before i start, a lot of plasterers will not remove them. The kitchen fitter can scribe the worktops and end panels on the units that are gonna be seen, but to be honest a lot of kitchen fitters moan if they have to get more tools out than a cordless.

Thanks.

To be fair the kitchen fitter has got on with it he's just highlighted that given its all just been done he wouldn't have expected such a big difference along the work top.

The radiator was discussed and he said he'd take them off, I feel like it's all been rushed..

I popped into the local Skoda dealers the other day and payed for an Octavia.

I was well pissed off when they delivered the car and it wasn't a Porsche!

Last edited:
Thanks.

To be fair the kitchen fitter has got on with it he's just highlighted that given its all just been done he wouldn't have expected such a big difference along the work top.

The radiator was discussed and he said he'd take them off, I feel like it's all been rushed..

If you discussed it then he should of removed it

bloke sounds like a ****. not really the plasterers fault if hes done whats been asked. but if the guy is actually a builder then he should know what needs doing and should have asked them to straighten the walls and discussed it with you. as for the rad thats just being ignorant. if they didnt have a plumber and didnt want to take it off themselves, they should have waited until they did, then got the plasterers in. its using common sense, but unfortunately no one seems to have it anymore

ya re skim will only follow what's there if ya walls are bad then some bonding would have strightend them etc but a straight rekim ya cant moan to much to be fair like what's been said most kitchen fitters an joiners moan if they have to start thinking and working to get things right if it not got a 12v batt on it they buggered lol i always try to take rads of unless told otherwise though if i cant undo the valve on my third try its staying on

I think some joiners don't like jack saws as there's no on button.. And rarely do they know how to use a brush.

Always tell the customer to remove rads, we used to do it but if the joint goes we're buggered - luckily we know a plumber who'll usually drop by and take them off for us if the customer is stuck.
The jobs always discussed with the customer as to what they want when we quote it and we go through what we do to achieve that. This is typed up in be written quote that we send them.

fooey!!! box in, plasterboard & skim Rad, Skim walls half a coat trowel only parts that are seen !

Status
Not open for further replies.