Help........ My kitchen is falling apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylar

The pic quality isnt brilliant. I have been stripping the wall paper off the kitchen wall and the top layer of plaster has come off revealing the plaster underneath which is also falling apart, its like a mixture of sand and stones. What plaster do i use to fix this? Thistle coat multi finish? Sorry i havnt got much experience in plastering :( cue the laughs :D Also the last pic is taken of the only bit of plaster situated abouve the gas cooker which doesnt come away from the wall. There is a hole just above it reveling a pipe or cable.

aah a seahorsein pic 4 ;D.....the first ones a flat chested bint getting done hard up the arse ;)

Please excuse me learned cohorts Sylar (only joking lads)

Sounds to me as if the plaster has blown - It only has a limited life span before the sand & cement starts to crumble and come away from the masonry

If you want the job done properly hack off all the loose plaster back to the brickwork - If that means the whole wall then so be it, otherwise take it all back to a hard edge - Depending on how much original plaster is left you can either fill in the missing pieces with Thistle Hardwall or Bonding Coat, or if the whole wall needs to be hacked off you can either float and set with S&C (proper job) or dot and dab plasterboard (easier ) until you have something that resembles a kitchen wall again

If you are a novice at this sort of thing, best get the pros in - It a false economy patching blown plaster because if its not stuck to the brickwork, whatever you patch in will come away with it

In short, hack it off and start with the brickwork - A pro will get it true and plumb aswell making it much easier to fit cabinets etc...

to be honest pal i probably use a floor scraper take off the rest of the skim, then fill in where needed with bonding and few times over with pva and re-skim multi finish jobs a gooden

I live in coventry and my flat was built after the war so its not made of proper bricks. The sandy stuff is what the wall is made from. If i take that off then i will end up in the bathroom :D

prefab house?
these are the biggest pain in the arse on the entire planet..
spunky's prolly headin the right way... save you a world of trouble..
get yer studs up, get the sparky in, board it and skim it..
if not id go with pristine but if hacking off will make your house fall apart (wouldnt surprise me) then do the above and move house..

chuck some backing coat in there and skim it mate pva it heavy before cause itll suck like a twooper and skim :)

bigsegs said:
prefab house?
these are the biggest pain in the arse on the entire planet..
spunky's prolly headin the right way... save you a world of trouble..
get yer studs up, get the sparky in, board it and skim it..
if not id go with pristine but if hacking off will make your house fall apart (wouldnt surprise me) then do the above and move house..

Just done some research and i have found out i live in a No-fines-concrete flat built in the 1950's post war in coventry. Thanks for the help and advice guys :)

Worked on some no fines flats in Bradford over twenty years ago pebbledashed the outsides and the insides had sheets off 50mm jablite dabbed on and then bonded and skimmed ??? glad i don't live in em can you imagine the state of the walls now with all those pissed up students leaving imprints of their fore heads and knuckles in em , and thats just the women ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.