Hello, and a question about my 1930's reskim job

Members online

hulmesweethulme

MicrosoftTeams-image (53).jpg

Hi Everyone.

I'm a new plasterer, and I'm looking to reskim my office room in my 1930's house . Initially it was wallpapered, so I removed that, and then decided to remove the paint underneath in case it was vinyl, in the hope of then PVA'ing over the top of the plaster to reskim, but it exposed a variety of substrates, one of which is a mysterious brown strip above where the old picture rail was that sounds different to the rest of the wall when tapped, though not necessarily hollow.... it's also got some gummy feeling stuff on it, I have no idea what this is - and now I'm not sure how to proceed from this point. There are also loads of other oddities such as metal staples in the wall and a variety of filling materials used over the years.

I would guess most people will say to blue/green grit over it and reskim - I've not used grit underneath plaster before, hence the hope of using PVA, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Has anyone come across this issue before/ What do you guys think?

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (56).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (56).jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 70
View attachment 76483
Hi Everyone.

I'm a new plasterer, and I'm looking to reskim my office room in my 1930's house . Initially it was wallpapered, so I removed that, and then decided to remove the paint underneath in case it was vinyl, in the hope of then PVA'ing over the top of the plaster to reskim, but it exposed a variety of substrates, one of which is a mysterious brown strip above where the old picture rail was that sounds different to the rest of the wall when tapped, though not necessarily hollow.... it's also got some gummy feeling stuff on it, I have no idea what this is - and now I'm not sure how to proceed from this point. There are also loads of other oddities such as metal staples in the wall and a variety of filling materials used over the years.

I would guess most people will say to blue/green grit over it and reskim - I've not used grit underneath plaster before, hence the hope of using PVA, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

If it was me I'd pva it and bed mesh Into it and skim it . From what I can see it fooked if it's 1930s . If it was my house I'd hack it all off and float and skim it in hardwall . But that's just me

View attachment 76483
Hi Everyone.

Just be honest about it. Zooming in, there’s loads of cracks. No one wants to strip wall paper to be confronted with blown plaster and all the extra hassle but that’s the reality.
I took my 30’s house back to brick straight away and dropped all the ceilings.

Just be honest about it. Zooming in, there’s loads of cracks. No one wants to strip wall paper to be confronted with blown plaster and all the extra hassle but that’s the reality.
I took my 30’s house back to brick straight away and dropped all the ceilings.
Does there be by chance any where we can learn more about it I hope?

Wish there was somewhere that could turn a chancer into a seasoned artisan craftsman for OnLY £20.99 a month.

It’s the Johnny G dairies

If it was me I'd pva it and bed mesh Into it and skim it . From what I can see it fooked if it's 1930s . If it was my house I'd hack it all off and float and skim it in hardwall . But that's just me
from what he said with regards to the background, it needs gritting for a key but being a site slagger you'd know fk all about that

from what he said with regards to the background, it needs gritting for a key but being a site slagger you'd know fk all about that
You seriously need to find a better pastime than waking round b n q getting all exited over the tubs of bostic and mechanical keys . Lol

You seriously need to find a better pastime than waking round b n q getting all exited over the tubs of bostic and mechanical keys . Lol
it's called giving the correct advice and doing the job properly sunshine.....again something a cheap ass site slag would know nothing about