Hello and a question about lime plastering

Members online

LtotheW

Hi Folks. New here. I’m renovating an old 1900c house and most of the plaster is the original lime. Was hoping to do the plastering myself (I’m not a plasterer but my dad was so saw a lot of it being done as a kid ). Very aware that there’ll be some steep learning curves and massive balls ups but time I have, cash not so much!

Anyway. I was hoping to be using hardwall on the blown-to-brick patches plus bonding where needed and then multi finish for skimming but as I’m reading more and more I’m starting to think “sh*t maybe it’s not as simple”.

So I’m going to have a fair few questions but my first one is:

in the living room there are blown bits of plaster that I’ve taken off up to where the plaster is stuck solid, and what I’m wondering is, should I use a lime base coat and bring that level/flush with the existing lime plaster, and then do the top coat across the entire wall to tie it all in together? Can I do a top coat of lime straight onto the old lime plaster? Or should I be doing the base coat a few mm shy of the surface and then patch the top coat in and feather it to the old plaster? I’d like a full new wall surface rather than patched really. Kind of frustrating, I’d love to just bang on a load of multi finish skim and have nice smooth walls but it seems this is not the best way…. Any advice appreciated. Sorry to go on a bit!

Hi Folks. New here. I’m renovating an old 1900c house and most of the plaster is the original lime. Was hoping to do the plastering myself (I’m not a plasterer but my dad was so saw a lot of it being done as a kid ). Very aware that there’ll be some steep learning curves and massive balls ups but time I have, cash not so much!

Anyway. I was hoping to be using hardwall on the blown-to-brick patches plus bonding where needed and then multi finish for skimming but as I’m reading more and more I’m starting to think “sh*t maybe it’s not as simple”.

in the living room there are blown bits of plaster that I’ve taken off up to where the plaster is stuck solid, and what I’m wondering is, should I use a lime base coat and bring that level/flush with the existing lime plaster, and then do the top coat across the entire wall to tie it all in together? Can I do a top coat of lime straight onto the old lime plaster? Or should I be doing the base coat a few mm shy of the surface and then patch the top coat in and feather it to the old plaster? I’d like a full new wall surface rather than patched really. Kind of frustrating, I’d love to just bang on a load of multi finish skim and have nice smooth walls but it seems this is not the best way…. Any advice appreciated. Sorry to go on a bit!
You should be employing someone who has the skill and knowledge to tackle the job.

You should be employing someone who has the skill and knowledge to tackle the job.
Yes. You are right. The problem is, buying a fixer upper and then paying every trade to come in and do every job would be insanely expensive, to the point where it’d be far cheaper to just buy a house that was done and save ourselves the massive ballache of living in a house that’s being renovated.

Another problem I’m coming across is that when I do bite the bullet and get a tradesperson in to do a job, I usually end up redoing bits myself because they’re (understandably) hell bent on getting the job finished within a time frame. Finding people who care enough to do the job properly from start to finish seems to be difficult. I’m not saying those people don’t exist, I’m really not. I have the utmost respect for trades. But I’ve had a few bad experiences even with people who’ve been highly recommended so. Here I am, trying to learn!

@Casper

@yes

DO NOT USE GYPSUM! At ALL ANYWHERE IN THAT HOUSE. Lime breaths gypsum doesn't. Using incorrect plaster will give you a world of problems with damp. You need an experienced lime plasterer. It really isn't a have a go at it kind of job. If you can't afford it why on earth did you buy a fixer upper from 19th centuary??

DO NOT USE GYPSUM! At ALL ANYWHERE IN THAT HOUSE. Lime breaths gypsum doesn't. Using incorrect plaster will give you a world of problems with damp. You need an experienced lime plasterer. It really isn't a have a go at it kind of job. If you can't afford it why on earth did you buy a fixer upper from 19th centuary??
A lot of debate on this topic and seemingly no 1 simple answer. My dad used gypsum throughout our Victorian house in the 80s and there hasn’t been a single damp/mould/condensation problem in 40 years. He did put vents into all the chimney breasts. So the house still breathes. Plus it’s exposed brick on the outside of the house so I guess the moisture just goes out that way?? Every house is different though so. I take your point!

Re the expense. I’m a competent DIYer in many other areas. Just haven’t turned my hand to plastering yet. I’ll be building the extension myself and all sorts of other stuff. So I’m not afraid to have a go and learn on the job. I’ve got rooms to practice on. It’s just this room is a particularly tricky one. Had a quote from a guy the other day. He said he’d hardwall it and then multifinish, £1600 for the one room. It’s not that I can’t afford to renovate this place, I’m just careful with my cash :D