hardwall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as i know mate,would be the same as for tiling over bonding,so no would have to be skimmed!

matt said:
As far as i know mate,would be the same as for tiling over bonding,so no would have to be skimmed!

You dont have to skim bonding before tiling!! key the bonding or hardwall, if you cant due to going bonding over old walls to level out give it a lick of 5-1 p.va then tile away pal.

prime away an tile till ur hearts content, i always thought the priming was just for suction with hardwall an bonding when tilling on it

i've tiled on hardwall and bonding before with no comebacks, but i read on here that you shouldn't.

I seem to remember hearing/reading, not to tile on plaster, it should be s+c. Because the adhesive is stronger than plaster(?).
richardbrown said:
yep I was always told not to by many a tiler, dont know why mind

I'd PVA it just to be on the safe side. Hardwall and bonding can have a dusty surface sometimes.

ive been told you cant tile over bonding coat ....its just a bodge job.......they'll tile over it when its skimmed though ???........

thats cleared that up then! straight from the horses mouth, cheers apprentice.

I must admit ive tiled over bonding /hardwall /filler /expanding foam /tiles on tiles /wood paneling /MDF / even an old glass surving hatch and old redundant plug sockets and never had a problem in over 20 years.

But thats just me !!!!

I tiled our kitchen the other day useing board adhesive instaed of tile adhesive.

Worked a treat ;D

PVA should not be used in tiling for many reasons. All adhesive manufactureres have their own primers usualy Acrylic or SBR based if you use PVA and it fails you will get no help from the makers.
Lucius

apart from the weight issue grout isnt waterproof... its water resistant
half the cheap tile adhesives on the market today aint waterproof... wickes have changed their adhesive to some white acrylic shite... and believe me it is absolutely crap...
and bonding / hardwall deteriorate when wet, wheras render doesnt... however finish plaster does..
best thing i reckon is if there is any doubt then spray it with a grout / tile sealer like you get for showers...
or render it and tile the render...

whatever you do though... let it dry properly first or youll be asking for trouble..

If you follow the spec then plaster should be allowed to dry for 6 weeks before tiling unless you use the tile adhesive that is designed to be used on green plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.