halogen bulb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
I have just bought a twin halogen light which is fantastic but on average i am going through a new bulb every day.

Anyone why ?????

crap bulbs ????

thanks Rich

we use halogens and now and then we'll go through a batch that go every other day. then sometimes the same brand will last ages. theyre quite sensitive. this isnt really an answer. but at least your not on your own!

I used to find that with the bulbs i used to get and they were not cheap either. Now I get the packs of them from screwfix they last for ages and they are only work out about 60p a bulb

dont touch them with youre bear hands when you put them in or buy a decent plasters light of ebay halogen lights are shite rich wtf are you playing at man ;D

i got all the best lights you can buy spunk trust me ... when your working in a big dark gloomy barn conversion you need the power of a twin halogen, I tested them against my 2d lights and the tubed lights that cost well over £100 and the halogens pi ss all over them.

P.S every time the bulb has gone it seems to be the white ceramic cap at the end that has failed.

Rich

is it something inside the light they should last until they get beat up really ???

rich as the spunkmizter says.....finger prints blow them.and homebase own brand ones are really poo..think its the oil or dirt on your fingers blow the bulb when really hot......ive had lots of lights and find the halogens with 300w bulbs are best...yeah they do get hot...yeah they are shite....yes they do blow up in the end but give the best light for plastering in my book.....never tried the pro lights that a few were talking about a while back...think that can be linked .........

Like Phippsy says, dont get the 500W bulbs - go for 250 - they provide ample light for most situations (not sure about a gloomy barn) and dont get nearly so hot - Last alot longer !

we changed the bulbs to 500w and found they lasted longer, if you really want a good light then get the Low bay ligths that screwfix SALE, the run HPS bulbs ( same sort of bulb that can grow plants inside so they give a daylights type of light)

had the same problem and found if u take the glass front off the light they last for ages. They overheat.
Pain in the arse when u flick plaster/water on em tho

church said:
Ive got a couple good lights ,no problems after two years of use.
are they bright church, using them daft stand up tubes with the sand in he bottom but you get more light from your mobile lol

bkh said:
church said:
Ive got a couple good lights ,no problems after two years of use.
are they bright church, using them daft stand up tubes with the sand in he bottom but you get more light from your mobile lol

yeah a lot better than them things , i think you need two goliath lights to be safe tho .

no mate, we have knocked them over , one even bounced down the stairs. never had a problem . just try one and i bet your be well happy

grand wizard said:
halogens are banned on sites
This might be the reason why-
last year in a 2m x2m, utility room with no windows in,halogen light sitting on the ground.
I was using squirty foam,it gave off gas,which tracked along the floor to the light,big bang,it ignited,tracked its way back to the foam,it started burning between the rafters/cavity,had to get a powder extinguisher,loads of smoke,loads of smell.Anyway got it sorted,customer gets back at 5pm and didnt notice a thing!
Next day got a 110 safety light!!!!!!!!!!!!mmmmmmm lesson learned!

Can imagine they are good in a big barn...but f**k me they are useless why haven't they been taken off the market? Surely its a design fault...i've had several lots over the years they all do the same bulbs never last more than a couple of days...you can buy the bulbs cheap in screwfix if thats any help but personally i'd try and find something else...I use low energy type lights now on domestic and they are perfect good light when your eyes adjust and no heat so don't dry the plaster out to quick...if i'm working somwhere cold i'll take some of those halogens along just to heat the room up! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.