Half and half,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use a light coat of skim and few handfuls of bonding when skimming over old walls that have the green stuff painted on, for first coat then level it twice and then second coat, the job I am on wants me to use hard wall and skim instead of bonding for first coat, never seen anybody doing it this way before!! Have any of you's ?

I normally use a light coat of skim and few handfuls of bonding when skimming over old walls that have the green stuff painted on, for first coat then level it twice and then second coat, the job I am on wants me to use hard wall and skim instead of bonding for first coat, never seen anybody doing it this way before!! Have any of you's ?

If it super ruff and way out then yeah fair dos use hardwall because you can put it on thicker but I would just use bonding usually, bonding and hardwall seem very much a similar product tbh.

the only time I would consider using bonding first is if the walls ****** and needs to be bang on level for a kitchen or something, otherwise why go to the added time and cost of floating a wall out first if it just needs to be flat?

Are you referring to Thistle Bond-it (the green stuff)?

Hard wall is for high suction and bonding is for low suction.

If it super ruff and way out then yeah fair dos use hardwall because you can put it on thicker but I would just use bonding usually, bonding and hardwall seem very much a similar product tbh.

the only time I would consider using bonding first is if the walls ****** and needs to be bang on level for a kitchen or something, otherwise why go to the added time and cost of floating a wall out first if it just needs to be flat?
I mean half bag bonding in with the first coat of skim

Wow wtf pays for bond it lol, I'm defo not the man to comment... I've used multi with a bit of bonding before but never knew that is a must when using bond it:RpS_confused:

hopefully someone else will be along that has.

Fatarm possibly

only time i have ever put bonding or similar in with skim is when its been the last bag of finish and some body (not me ever) has put too much water in the mix and we had no powder left, worked out well.
if you useing BOND IT and MULTI are they not made by the same company? so surley they are compatable without playing with the mix, someone else has already done the science.
not claiming i know better i am genuinely intrested

Martin, You should tell them that Bond-it is designed to be used with Bonding coat and skimming plasters but not Hardwall. In addition, the Bond-it will remove most of the suction and it would be wrong to use a plaster that was designed for high suction backgrounds :)

Last edited:
A little bonding in the first coat with the multi then second coat after 20 mins with multi, it trowels in perfect like glass. They said do it this way anymore, even if it takes longer!

like how you finish off each others sentences :RpS_biggrin:

There having a lovers tiff tonight on the cracking thread...........think its cos i told minge he was my hero...................:RpS_unsure:

hmmm, i was on a job over the summer where the spreads was plonking on hardwall over old siraphite walls that had been pva'd, devil them up and skim the next day. doubt it stayed on the walls to be honest i think they were doing it so they could book in float and set money?

What are you's on about - thistl multi finish, skim and hardwall all the same thing to me. Bonding is used to level of and high suction backgrounds should be PVA fisrt with primer

Oh rite - didn't know that, cheers!!! We call skim coat over here hardwall. (Ireland) When you bond a ceiling before skimming it do you put it on full bonding or would you add skim to make it spread easier.

Depends really,I used to mix it half and half finish/bonding then skim over it when it sets, sometimes I would just put in a few handfuls of bonding in the mix when going over board we also do what you say adding finishing to the bonding but only for skimming the same day otherwise you need pva .terminology is only slightly different in the uk,slabbing in Ireland is tacking or boarding here, hardwall is a base coat for lightweight blocks never for board work

We always bond our ceilings here. Used to be half and half but now just a few scoops of skim with 2 large handfulls of cement. Bond the ceiling then skim when the bonding is almost set.

Better job of course, but with so much cost cutting, some on here are now just doing all board work with one coat and sponging it.

Depends really,I used to mix it half and half finish/bonding then skim over it when it sets, sometimes I would just put in a few handfuls of bonding in the mix when going over board we also do what you say adding finishing to the bonding but only for skimming the same day otherwise you need pva .terminology is only slightly different in the uk,slabbing in Ireland is tacking or boarding here, hardwall is a base coat for lightweight blocks never for board work

I try to stay away from bomding and skimming the next day. Don't like the extra hassle of having to use PVA . (Prime coat then sticky coat) but sometimes there is no option.

Earlier this week i coated an artex ceiling with a first coat of skim mixed with couple BIG hand fulls of bonding. Let it go off, then separate coat of MF ontop turned out pefecto!

Earlier this week i coated an artex ceiling with a first coat of skim mixed with couple BIG hand fulls of bonding. Let it go off, then separate coat of MF ontop turned out pefecto!

but would it not have been the same result WITHOUT the bonding!? lol thats the question...

but would it not have been the same result WITHOUT the bonding!? lol thats the question...
It was a thick artex, was easier to spread and set a bit quicker, prob would of been the same result but this way was just easier for myself and took a little less time

Wow wtf pays for bond it lol, I'm defo not the man to comment... I've used multi with a bit of bonding before but never knew that is a must when using bond it:RpS_confused:

hopefully someone else will be along that has.

Fatarm possibly

I used bond it the other week for the first time. Skimmed straight over it with board finish (my preference) and was fine. Didn't know you had to use bonding first but this doesn't make sense to me and I probaby wouldn't do that in the future. Since I plastered two floors of the guys house, to bond it and then float bonding and then skim over the lot would have been lots of time and expense and i would've prefered to kill myself thinking back :RpS_laugh:

Actually I'm now confused. Maybe I read the thread wrong. Seems weird

Status
Not open for further replies.