Go to college or on the job training

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been lots of discussions recently about this so what do you think is best....

Leave school and go to college

Leave school and just start labouring

I would have liked to have got on the tools straight from school and if I had my way I would be a panel beater now... but my parents were adamant that was not going to happen

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you go through college the company who take you on get money for it and can pay you a lower wage, due to having to pass stuff for the course youre more likely to get shown stuff.....win win for everyone.

If you go through college the company who take you on get money for it and can pay you a lower wage, due to having to pass stuff for the course youre more likely to get shown stuff.....win win for everyone.

You have to pay a minimum of £120 a week to get a grant. To a school leaver that's good money!

You have to pay a minimum of £120 a week to get a grant. To a school leaver that's good money!

Plus the grants don't cover the wages you pay either.

It's to high risk for me personally.

It's to much hassle with all the extra paperwork of taking on an employee on pay roll.
There lots more behind the scenes aswell I think.
It's not just 'taking someone on'

Plus if they suddenly went off ill for 6 months you'd still have to cover there wage wouldn't you?

I think it works for bigger firms as it can be off set but just for one and some subbies it doesn't pay.

You can't warrant paying a young one to go and help you in a box room. The money ain't in it.

Sorry I had my facts wrong, thought I read apprentice wage was 2.73. Must have got the wrong end of the stick.

Plus the grants don't cover the wages you pay either.

It's to high risk for me personally.

It's to much hassle with all the extra paperwork of taking on an employee on pay roll.
There lots more behind the scenes aswell I think.
It's not just 'taking someone on'

Plus if they suddenly went off ill for 6 months you'd still have to cover there wage wouldn't you?

I think it works for bigger firms as it can be off set but just for one and some subbies it doesn't pay.

You can't warrant paying a young one to go and help you in a box room. The money ain't in it.

It isn't easy at times on small stuff but you'd be surprised what you can get when you're recommended and factor the apprentices money in too.

If you've got a good run of work like you say it's worth doing. Subbies can let you down and at the end of the day have their own agenda. Unless their lazy, shite and just leaning on you all the time.

Sick days is something I'll worry about if it happens but if you find the right lad they won't mess you around with random sickies. First 3 days you don't have to pay anything anyway.

I do my best to make at least £40 a day from the lad and more on better jobs. Then there's the £10,000 grants over 3 years. Plus all the donkey work is done for you. It's a no brainer for me. Especially when it comes to bigger jobs and rendering.

Each to their own mate. You're happy the way you are so stick to that (y)

It isn't easy at times on small stuff but you'd be surprised what you can get when you're recommended and factor the apprentices money in too.

If you've got a good run of work like you say it's worth doing. Subbies can let you down and at the end of the day have their own agenda. Unless their lazy, shite and just leaning on you all the time.

Sick days is something I'll worry about if it happens but if you find the right lad they won't mess you around with random sickies. First 3 days you don't have to pay anything anyway.

I do my best to make at least £40 a day from the lad and more on better jobs. Then there's the £10,000 grants over 3 years. Plus all the donkey work is done for you. It's a no brainer for me. Especially when it comes to bigger jobs and rendering.

Each to their own mate. You're happy the way you are so stick to that (y)

I'm guessing it works for you then?
If it was as easy as it sounds I'd be happy to do it.

How do you make £40 a day on top of what you pay them?

Or is that averaged out?

Be interesting to know what it's like from your point of view.

I'm guessing it works for you then?
If it was as easy as it sounds I'd be happy to do it.

How do you make £40 a day on top of what you pay them?

Or is that averaged out?

Be interesting to know what it's like from your point of view.

I'm on my third apprentice. 1 quit though. It does work when you find the right lad. There's a lot of reward from teaching someone and seeing them go from hardly being able to hold a trowel properly to improving over time and then turning into a good all round spread.

When a job is based on day rate I charge a minimum of £40 on top of what I pay him. Then if it's a price job were getting through it a lot quicker with him so he more than earns his wages. With each improvement i'll charge more for him.

If he doesn't decide to do his own thing when he's qualified I'll get him a little van and see where it goes from there.

I never really felt like I was getting anywhere using subbies all the time. If they're not letting you down they're trying to steal your jobs. If they're not too busy with their own work they're leaning on you too much and spit their dummies out when you can't keep them going constantly. It became a bit like babysitting!

I'm on my third apprentice. 1 quit though. It does work when you find the right lad. There's a lot of reward from teaching someone and seeing them go from hardly being able to hold a trowel properly to improving over time and then turning into a good all round spread.

When a job is based on day rate I charge a minimum of £40 on top of what I pay him. Then if it's a price job were getting through it a lot quicker with him so he more than earns his wages. With each improvement i'll charge more for him.

If he doesn't decide to do his own thing when he's qualified I'll get him a little van and see where it goes from there.

I never really felt like I was getting anywhere using subbies all the time. If they're not letting you down they're trying to steal your jobs. If they're not too busy with their own work they're leaning on you too much and spit their dummies out when you can't keep them going constantly. It became a bit like babysitting!

Thanks for info.
It all helps.

Just a query how can you charge someone out at that rate who can do hardly anything to start with and not get people moaning about costs?

That's what I find with labourers and day work for builders?
They say they will help which obviously defeats the object!

I'm happy with my subbies as I can't keep up with the work on my own.

I have a young lad who I'm using a few days a week at the mo.
Not sure how interested he is at the moment though.
Bit hot and cold at minute.
Was gonna teach him how to labour and then progress from there but they all want to be on a trowel straight away!

Yeah, they all want to run before they can walk the little feckers.

On domestic work I don't break the price down. The price is the price. If it's for a builder they grumble but then take it on the chin. Just keep the lad busy then they see what they're paying for. I've lost a couple through standing my ground on the lads rate but f**k em the tight arse T***s. There's many many more builders out there. You've got to make a fair minimum amount on them to cover sick days, holiday, PPE, insurances etc. If you charge them out at what you pay them it's not worth doing. You're throwing money away every day.

And with an apprentice they're commiting to you and you're commiting to them. If you use someone as a labourer and show them the ropes chances are when a better offer comes along they'll be off.

We are same as you rossi had 3 apprentices in 3 years 1 was a useless bad attitude lad and other 2 were ok but for 9 months out of the year there were useless etc and was paying them £200 after tax a week and the minute there cud put a bag and half on there wanted more cash etc but was different wen there c**t even sweep a room out properly we used to charge £80 for young lads uve got to make sumat or wats the point..hoping geasons sorts out a lad for us Monday had a 17 year old jack after 1 day other day just went at end of day sorry lads not for me is this lol..I started on £80 a week at 17 then by time I was 21 I was still only on £220 a week so if its good enough for me its gud enough for them little fckers there want £500 a week nowadays after a year wrking on tools

Funny thing is last lad phoned college up told them we was making him work 60 hours a week the lying b*****d he only did 2 full weeks the last 3 months he worked with us we do about 35 hours a week if that and payed him through level 2 college etc and that's grattitude we get..little b*****d

Funny thing is last lad phoned college up told them we was making him work 60 hours a week the lying b*****d he only did 2 full weeks the last 3 months he worked with us we do about 35 hours a week if that and payed him through level 2 college etc and that's grattitude we get..little b*****d

It's tough finding a good'n. So many little arse wipes that cant be taught no matter how long you give them.
I do think that they're starting to realise the opportunity they have now with so many school leavers out of work. The lad I've got is really keen because all his mates are doing apprenticeships at the same time in every different trade. He loves it (y)

Ours loved it but then he had a kid so think it was 2 much for him told him wen he finished level 2 at college we would give him £300 a week but think he wanted sumat stupid which u cnt justify especially wen we cudnt leave him on his own and wen he cut his sockets out etc with gaps that you cud fit a bus thru tried telling him its s**t for 4 years etc then u can set up by urself and earn gud money think he's working at primark now absolute waste of time-effort and money

There has been lots of discussions recently about this so what do you think is best....

Leave school and go to college

Leave school and just start labouring

I would have liked to have got on the tools straight from school and if I had my way I would be a panel beater now... but my parents were adamant that was not going to happen

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
both imfho

Ours loved it but then he had a kid so think it was 2 much for him told him wen he finished level 2 at college we would give him £300 a week but think he wanted sumat stupid which u cnt justify especially wen we cudnt leave him on his own and wen he cut his sockets out etc with gaps that you cud fit a bus thru tried telling him its s**t for 4 years etc then u can set up by urself and earn gud money think he's working at primark now absolute waste of time-effort and money

Jesus! :tonto: Surely he's not earning £300 at primark. Frustrating!

They all expect things to soon now don't they! Think they don't need to start at the bottom and work there way up!
Half the lads I've gave chances to are so thick they can't even hold the broom the right way.

Bad isn't it I used to say rite clean that room id walk in 20mins later s**t stil on window bottoms etc and not sweeped around the edges of the walls by time I sweeped it there wud be another big pile and there wud be like huh!! How did you manage another pile..jesus and that's ment to be the next generation

Will be orite in 6 years my lads nearly 10 ive already told him do well at school or u will be wrking with ur old man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.