Garden Retaining Wall K Rend

pocketpete

Been looking at a few garden wall images and one was from this site. I'm retired but can plaster to an acceptable DIY standard. I'm doing a series of 3 stepped raised beds and fancied rendering them to match the walls of the new build property I have purchased. I have tried sand and cement in the past but never seem to be able to get it really flat unlike plaster.

So I Built the walls in concrete block on 3 layers of engineering brick and have looked at the threads on here I want to render the top section. I have popped a damp proof course in (for what good It will Do!) and I have tanked the inner surface with some Sika tanking slurry. I popped a couple of section of drain in which will vent out of the wall via some plastik pipes.

There seems to be 50% of people who say no dont do it and 50% who say S&C only.

The inner will be well tanked only the outside edges being K rend. I may render the wall top or put stone over them to drip the water away from the render. Am I wasting my time? if it stays on how many years will it last. The wall garage walls I did 10 years ago are still beautiful. but garden walls may be another thing.

I saw this image on here which is pretty much what im after on a smaller scale.
https://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/k-rendner-garden-walls.61053/

Any ideas what's best or do I just put a full brick outside wall up and soldier the top course and cap it.

Honestly don’t bother rendering it you’ll regret it after the fist winter and it looks s**t with dirt even if you put coping stones on with an overhang and rebated water will still track down your mortar joints causing drip marks

yes im generally steering towards that, I could of course build it out of sleepers and not worry to much but I always think they look a bit naff. I think my brick trowel is getting dusted off.

This whole garden wall render fad that’s happening is a complete waste of time. Will look good for all of a few months.
I see some absolute horrors on my travels.