Fixing radiators to walls with damp proof membranes

Smitch21

Hi Everyone, I'll shortly be moving into a house that has rising damp in several walls (damp survey has confirmed this). I'll be stripping back the plaster, installing a DPC and damp-proof membrane before re-plastering.

My issue is around how to remove the radiators and reattach these to the walls without penetrating the membrane when drilling the brackets back in. Are there perhaps any recommended ways to keep the brackets attached throughout the works and fix the membrane around these? Or any other solutions?

Thought this would be a common issue but struggled to find any advice anywhere so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Why do you need the membrane if you are replacing the dpc? Unless below ground level in a basement of course. If there is studding then the dpm should be beyond the studs, so fix to the studs. If it is a "surface" DPM then either rely on the screw being a tight fit and the compression aound it sealing off the hole, or fit free-standing rad with feet/legs.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on using the membrane to give an extra bit of protection on top of the damp proof cream and in case of penetrating damp in the future as it's a fairly old property.

So can I just check I'm understanding this right- if I can align the stud plugs holding the membrane in place with the radiator bracket, I should be able to screw the radiator brackets into these? Thanks.

IMG_2639.jpeg