Few quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucker

Hey guys few quick questions

1. Any of u lot skimmed on acoustic board not a big site with hundreds of meters of the stuff and it skims so horrible. Trowel it up seems so much hard then normal board. Have any of you noticed anything different with it?

2. Any one know what causes finish to stripe when troweling ive heard people say so many different things that cause it.

Cheers people.

Hi Mucker,

Have you been a plasterer for a long time?

1) I haven't noticed much difference to normal boards apart from them being much heavier. Are the boards "fresh" ones or have they been sitting around a while? The core in old boards can become drier if not stored correctly and hence suck more moisture from the plaster, ultimately sending the plaster off more quickly. Which part of the troweling are you finding becomes more difficult?

2) Normally it's caused by the multi going on too thick or it's being played with too much before it's allowed to pull in. People call it many things but it can also be caused by leaving the wet trowel too late and opening up the trowel too much and trying to "force" the skim to flatten out. This can sometimes cause the plaster to slide and cause a wave like pattern. Is it smooth when you run your fingers over the tiger striped area or can you distinctly feel the undulations?

Don't know if this helps you at all but I'm sure someone will provide you with some answers in the morning. Time for me to sleep.

Last edited:
if you talking about the blue boards look at them see if they say "rapid set" the key to them is small quick gauges.
like minh says they heavier and a **** to cut, and tiger stripes are a fundamental really try smaller gauges and make sure you doing the right thing at the right time perfect your tecnique and build up from there.

Blue boards are sound shield, I find them easy to plaster, never heard of rapid set board.We are fitting them on ceilings today, two layers of 15mm, weighing 45kg a sheet.

For best skimming, lay on your first coat, Flatten, leave to pull in for a short while, then lay on half the amount for second coat..

brings back bad memorys of working on site on a hotel having to carry 44kg soundboards up 4 stories of spiral stairs (which was a squeeze) it was all doubble boarded so we had to handball **** loads of them.

brings back bad memorys of working on site on a hotel having to carry 44kg soundboards up 4 stories of spiral stairs (which was a squeeze) it was all doubble boarded so we had to handball **** loads of them.
Thankfully my plasterer and labourer do the carrying, I do the measuring and screwing, I have 3 screws in my left knee following an op so I wont carry anything unless I have to..

I've had a couple of batches that go off stupid quick, they seem to trowel up normal then set and stay a bit greasy I've had more problems with trowel lines off them

open wedge high tibial osteotomy is what my op was called, you can view it on youtube, not my particular one of course, basically they saw three quarters through your tibia ,attach a wedge and screw it back together, job done in an hr, back on the ward on morphine, back home in two days,plaster upto as high as testes for a month or so, reduced later on, etc etc , back walking in six months following physio ready for light work, physically and mentally drained that is, had mine done june 2011, not my favourite time...

open wedge high tibial osteotomy is what my op was called, you can view it on youtube, not my particular one of course, basically they saw three quarters through your tibia ,attach a wedge and screw it back together, job done in an hr, back on the ward on morphine, back home in two days,plaster upto as high as testes for a month or so, reduced later on, etc etc , back walking in six months following physio ready for light work, physically and mentally drained that is, had mine done june 2011, not my favourite time...

How's your leg holding up? Does it still give you discomfort? I guess the cold weather doesn't help things.

My brother had a similar operation where they used screws. After enduring all that pain for several months, they said to him, "we'll need to remove the metal rod in your leg, you have 10 years to decide. You can do it next year or we'll chase you up on the 10th anniversary". He's doing all right now. Bless him.

do use a fresh mix to lay in with mingh??........if your using the same mix to lay in with i would knock it through again with some water to make it pissy and it lays in like a dream. that should help with ya streaky bacon.................:RpS_thumbup:

do use a fresh mix to lay in with mingh??........if your using the same mix to lay in with i would knock it through again with some water to make it pissy and it lays in like a dream. that should help with ya streaky bacon.................:RpS_thumbup:

Me? No it's Mucker that's asking for advice :RpS_biggrin:

No worries you get there eventually mate we've all got too start somewhere, if you're unsure don't be afraid to ask questions

No worries you get there eventually mate we've all got too start somewhere, if you're unsure don't be afraid to ask questions

WTF...............think that T-shirt has gone to your head spunkster.........thought we had you back the other day when you asked that new bird if she took it up the Gary...

Whatever feels comfortable mate and try and keep it nice and flat to the wall, remember nice even pressure

There very sharp when you're trowel wears in a bit be carefull, try and leave it with a plasterer so he can wear it in for you

Haha cheers guys yea we been laying it on flattening down then laying back with fresh gear. But I just come off a job with normal plaster board skimming fine using same method this and getting a lovely finish. This stuff is a nightmare we do get a good finish in the end just is a right pain. Plus all the rooms are glass window instead of the end wall so if we don't get it spot on u the sun makes it look like u laid it on with a shovel.

Mucker try putting it on so you dont have to flat before you lay as that way you avoid messing about with it and your always trying to get it flat and streak free.

The neater on the easier to finish.

If you were from the black country your name would be spelt mucka :)

try to keep your trowel cleaner dnt let the fat build up on it, if its building up you just respreading it onto the wall and the fat being slightly wetter just streaks over the top

not used them for quite a while but when i was on site the blue BG "sound" boards all said rapid set. we thought there was somthing wrong with em at first till we spotted what it said, in faint not very noticable letters
Blue boards are sound shield, I find them easy to plaster, never heard of rapid set board.We are fitting them on ceilings today, two layers of 15mm, weighing 45kg a sheet.

For best skimming, lay on your first coat, Flatten, leave to pull in for a short while, then lay on half the amount for second coat..

not used them for quite a while but when i was on site the blue BG "sound" boards all said rapid set. we thought there was somthing wrong with em at first till we spotted what it said, in faint not very noticable letters

Probably best to use uni finish on them then :RpS_biggrin:

yeah ive had to skim hardibackers before, no matter how many times i explained to the builder you dnt skim this he just refused to pay until it had been skimmed, sooooo fark him

Haha cheers guys yea we been laying it on flattening down then laying back with fresh gear. But I just come off a job with normal plaster board skimming fine using same method this and getting a lovely finish. This stuff is a nightmare we do get a good finish in the end just is a right pain. Plus all the rooms are glass window instead of the end wall so if we don't get it spot on u the sun makes it look like u laid it on with a shovel.

All youve got to do is speedskim it,followed by a palazzi,then eazi spat it's then use your micro angle trowel rub up wiv a sponge, final dry plastic trowel ,job done :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.