Fecking ID craziness

Brimstone

I've been trying to open an account and ISA with Virgin - what a performance. for just about everything in life now you must have either a valid passport or a photo ID card. OAP's, etc forget it. DHSS apparnelty to can maybe get a form saying you are a real person.

Virgin subcontract photo Id to a company called Hooyuu.com (which appears to be a chinese company now hoovering up id and video of UK subjects courtesy of Virgin)
- you have to be videoed on their app then send in, on their photo app, a pic of your passport or driving licence photo.

But the only photo ID I have is my passport and bus pass (good for voting but not banks apparently), and HETAS card..
The anti tampering reflective stuff on the passport prevent them ok'ing the phot0 "too much glare" .
Also kicked me out when it asked me which of the 5 random addresses I associate with - none of them, WTF? - turns out one was an old address of my brother, with whom I do not associate.
Could I go to a branch you ask? - No, there are no branches in London or anywhere south of Northampton, all shut last year.
After 2 hours on the phone with a virgin person (full marks for her a answering the phone and stayon the line for that long), there is no way around the Hooyuu farce, but, it can also be done on a laptop, if only their website saiid so. did a pdf scan of the passport - and got ok'd.
30mins of help later - got an current account. Could I transfer money into it? No, "still being processed try again in a couple of days" So no ISA with Virgin then.

Rant over, I'm going to query use of a chinese identification company in the UK with my MP.

I've been trying to open an account and ISA with Virgin - what a performance. for just about everything in life now you must have either a valid passport or a photo ID card. OAP's, etc forget it. DHSS apparnelty to can maybe get a form saying you are a real person.

Virgin subcontract photo Id to a company called Hooyuu.com (which appears to be a chinese company now hoovering up id and video of UK subjects courtesy of Virgin)
- you have to be videoed on their app then send in, on their photo app, a pic of your passport or driving licence photo.

But the only photo ID I have is my passport and bus pass (good for voting but not banks apparently), and HETAS card..
The anti tampering reflective stuff on the passport prevent them ok'ing the phot0 "too much glare" .
Also kicked me out when it asked me which of the 5 random addresses I associate with - none of them, WTF? - turns out one was an old address of my brother, with whom I do not associate.
Could I go to a branch you ask? - No, there are no branches in London or anywhere south of Northampton, all shut last year.
After 2 hours on the phone with a virgin person (full marks for her a answering the phone and stayon the line for that long), there is no way around the Hooyuu farce, but, it can also be done on a laptop, if only their website saiid so. did a pdf scan of the passport - and got ok'd.
30mins of help later - got an current account. Could I transfer money into it? No, "still being processed try again in a couple of days" So no ISA with Virgin then.

Rant over, I'm going to query use of a chinese identification company in the UK with my MP.
Its money laundering mate, their all over it like a rash !

The chance to earn and launder a bit of undeclared money would be a fine thing.
Nobody has cash anymore, tell its cash when I quote and when I turn up and do the job they turn round and say pathetically, "I've no cash, can i pay by transfer?" If I say rather not then I risk them not paying until later..maybe.

Nobody has cash anymore, tell its cash when I quote and when I turn up and do the job they turn round and say pathetically, "I've no cash, can i pay by transfer?" If I say rather not then I risk them not paying until later..maybe.
I don't even bother asking that anymore , they seem to think that cash is a dirty word ! :confused:

We moved our business account from Barclays to Metro, the difference in service is like night and day. I'll be opening a personal account with them before too long as well.
If there's a branch reasonably nearby I'd recommend anyone gives them a look.

People are getting slow and lazy with the transfers aswell now

I feel like a window cleaner coming back to them for the dough days later, reminding them, FFS

Getting aggy

We moved our business account from Barclays to Metro, the difference in service is like night and day. I'll be opening a personal account with them before too long as well.
If there's a branch reasonably nearby I'd recommend anyone gives them a look.
What makes them better than any of the big corporate banks

The husband and wife entreprenurial types who set it up have been paying themselves a bit too much and got into trouble with the FSA for trying to do some clever bookkeeping sleight of hand. They lost a lot of control and got an FSA engineered bung to keep them solvent.
They are not out of the woods yet by some way, but are not the only ones of the smaller banks. So I would not go over or even near the 85 K Govt lifeboat limit, and keep a few other bank accounts you can use if they suddenly fold.
My gut feeling is that if Nationwide buy Virgin Money, as the new boss is hell bent on doing, they are going to be in a world of pain. Why would Clydesdale sell it if it was making money, and if it wasn't then it must be a dog and fecked up with more debt from Clydesdale.