external render inside a garage

Members online

wayne stevens

Hi we are a husband and wife team that want to learn and earn but using our garage as a practice session.

Garage is built with solid blocks with a cavity, gables are 5.3meters tall at the ridge and 3m at the eves and its 4m wide so a bit big for us in one go. we did a single coat in sections in a 3(buiding sand) 1 (cement) mix with some kingfisher mortar latex additive and all went well with no cracking and a hard finish, we then started to paint it but the surface is uneven so half way through painting we decided to one coat it again and practice our poly floating and darby skills.

Here is the fail... We again did a 3 (building sand) 1 (cement) mix with the additive only this time we pva'd the painted wall, (we did no scratches so wall was smooth), it was a dam good flat finish, BUT it started to crack after a few days and it was hollow in huge areas so we got a scraper and fetched it off, the only area that is still stuck solid with no cracks is where we didn't use pva.
We have read lots of advice since on mixes and scoring the existing coat with a grinder, so heres our plan....(please advise on wrong thinking)

We are going to cut scratches into the existing coat, then pressure wash it, then we will sbr it with a 1:1 (sbr:water), then while the sbr is tacky we will one coat render it with a 2:2:1:1 mix (sharp sand:building sand:cement:hydrated lime)

Does that sound reasonable?

If not we are in stoke on trent and are willing to labour for a good renderer in order to gain skills experience.
thanks Wayne and Tegan

Hi we are a husband and wife team that want to learn and earn but using our garage as a practice session.

Garage is built with solid blocks with a cavity, gables are 5.3meters tall at the ridge and 3m at the eves and its 4m wide so a bit big for us in one go. we did a single coat in sections in a 3(buiding sand) 1 (cement) mix with some kingfisher mortar latex additive and all went well with no cracking and a hard finish, we then started to paint it but the surface is uneven so half way through painting we decided to one coat it again and practice our poly floating and darby skills.

Here is the fail... We again did a 3 (building sand) 1 (cement) mix with the additive only this time we pva'd the painted wall, (we did no scratches so wall was smooth), it was a dam good flat finish, BUT it started to crack after a few days and it was hollow in huge areas so we got a scraper and fetched it off, the only area that is still stuck solid with no cracks is where we didn't use pva.
We have read lots of advice since on mixes and scoring the existing coat with a grinder, so heres our plan....(please advise on wrong thinking)

We are going to cut scratches into the existing coat, then pressure wash it, then we will sbr it with a 1:1 (sbr:water), then while the sbr is tacky we will one coat render it with a 2:2:1:1 mix (sharp sand:building sand:cement:hydrated lime)

Does that sound reasonable?

If not we are in stoke on trent and are willing to labour for a good renderer in order to gain skills experience.
thanks Wayne and Tegan
?????????????????? :hueco:

the pics are of the garage before we did the final scim....this pic is the gable that's attached to the house, the section on the upper left was coated then a full scim of the wall was done in the 3:1 mix, the upper section on this wall has stayed on, dosent sound hollow and not cracked at all (ill post a pic of that tomorrow), the lower section peeled away like you were peeling an orange

Attachments

• P1090689.JPG
    P1090689.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 444
this is the front wall it had the 3:1 first coat and the second 3:1 coat all peeled of with very little resistance....you probably will note the fact that we did no scoring of the surface as noted in my first post.

Attachments

• P1090688.JPG
    P1090688.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 339
oh and forgot the garage gable wall that was done in the 3:1 and as said painted then over scimmed with the 3:1 but all peeled of very very easy and had huge cracks and swollen ares that were not attached the the wall in fact areas were about 5mm away from the wall

Attachments

• P1090692.JPG
    P1090692.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 318
As 'the bricky' is my wife who is a first line manager at sainsburys and a painter/decorator I recon those perps will be just fine. ha ha. I aint having that conversation again with her....I was told to do it myself and as I cant and wasn't going to spend the cash having a builder in just to house my landrover then the wife had to do and not a bad job for a firstimer if I say so myself.

No way first time bricklayer on that it would be alot worse !
I'd say Bricklayer had done

Allthough has not used imperial & is on metric
No vertical dpc or cavity opened up

& bond over window is hmmm

Plastering sand is what you want for rendering not building sand that is all your getting from me

Tegan started building the garden walls then around 2 foot up she stopped to build the garage so technically the garage is her second start but the first time for brick laying is at this property. Yes we realise mistakes were made but the reveals are now covered in upvc and the roof at the back covers the wide perps. However we have saved a packet ...£20, 000 to be precise.

Thanks pagey for your input.
Wayne.

What's going off with the bond above the window?
if that's your wife's first ever attempt at brick laying get her down the local site.
I'm not buying it sorry mate
That's been done by a builder maybe with the wife pointing behind him

hi tinytom we have a portfolio of pics that prove its taken years to get where we are, Tegan has laid all the bricks I assure you, The only job a builder helped with was the very top of the gable end and the roof due to our flimsy home made scaffold not being up to it and we couldnt work out how high the rsjs had to go to cope with the wall plates and the roof....oh and I'm the pointer.