Do i have a bigger problem? Crack in wall

Skyeguy

I had what I assumed was settlement cracks, 5 or so year old timber framed house. I had a guy out who cut it out, filled, taped then skimmed but its cracked again after a couple of months. The crack is on an inside wall of the eaves in a 1-1/2 storey but continues up to the window.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated
20231209_120943.jpg
20231209_112503.jpg
20231209_112454.jpg

Eaves means on the end of the house, thats on the main length but near the eaves. Have look in the attic to see what timbers are there. Should be a double rafter next to the dormer, maybe they are not bolted together and a small movement 'twixt them is causing the crack. It appears to be a sideways movement not vertical so it's not settlement as such.

Thanks Brimstone. My initial thought was poor fixing of boards. Guess just screws up either side of the boards and tape and fill again will sort it.

I doubt it. You've done that once and it failed. If it is two rafters moving independently then you'll need to cut some holes and bolt them together.

I had what I assumed was settlement cracks, 5 or so year old timber framed house. I had a guy out who cut it out, filled, taped then skimmed but its cracked again after a couple of months. The crack is on an inside wall of the eaves in a 1-1/2 storey but continues up to the window.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated
View attachment 76601 View attachment 76599View attachment 76600
@ timber frame notorious for movements @ masonry expands timber contracts =cracks