Distemper

Members online

Irnbruman

Hi I’m planing on getting my house skimmed. Recently I removed all the wood chip, scraped back lose paint and and washed the walls in preparation. Two days later the paint started flacking and pealing. I looked online and realised my house is covered in distemper. It’s a 1930s build. Dose anyone have a better solution to removal or is scraping back the only way ? If not has anyone had any luck with using an angle grinder with a grinding disk to remove ? I’m not really looking forward to the prospect of spending weeks scraping away with a heat gun

Cheers

Just give it all a rough first coat of skim sit back enjoy yourself let it dry then scrape it all off when it starts to shell and it will take off the paint and distemper for you then you can start from scratch that will be £40 plz

That could work. A lot of it has been scraped down in the passed then theres hidden patches covered by five coats of emulsion think I’ll score the rooms then spray down a few times and see what starts peeling.

Last edited:
Hi I’m planing on getting my house skimmed. Recently I removed all the wood chip, scraped back lose paint and and washed the walls in preparation. Two days later the paint started flacking and pealing. I looked online and realised my house is covered in distemper. It’s a 1930s build. Dose anyone have a better solution to removal or is scraping back the only way ? If not has anyone had any luck with using an angle grinder with a grinding disk to remove ? I’m not really looking forward to the prospect of spending weeks scraping away with a heat gun

Cheers
Stabiliser

Distemper.
Steam or scrape paint off first.
Vacuum connected to 80 grade mesh orbital sander and get it off. Don't take long to do then stabilise. I used gardz but other cheaper options at trade centres.
Distemper will continue to degrade over time so removing is always best option. Can't get it all off but if it's not a think layer the stabilizer will work. Some big cheap orbital sanders good enough. Bodge on a vacuum

Just give it all a rough first coat of skim sit back enjoy yourself let it dry then scrape it all off when it starts to shell and it will take off the paint and distemper for you then you can start from scratch that will be £40 plz
actually not a bad idea