damp in my front room

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmplastering

hiya lads hope all is well...ive recentley renderd my external wall by my front door, which is also the wall to my front room. Still can't get rid of the damp coming in. I will upload some pictures soon. Its a white fluffy damp. Its a solid cavity wall. House was built in 1930s. I do have a step at my front door which is covering the damp proof course could this be the problem?
cheers lads

simplybesty said:
it sounds like salts mate, is the plaster tried out completly?.
yer skimmed the inside about a year ago, but there was damp there when i moved in, the render outside was pebble dashed but was to the floor so i chased it back to go above the dp. might have to take the step out as the rain water sits on it.
realy anoying now.....

remove the old step and put a new one in but just leave a gap from the step to the house for water 20mm should do it,make shure theres no render bridging the dpc behind the step

jmplastering said:
hiya lads hope all is well...ive recentley renderd my external wall by my front door, which is also the wall to my front room. Still can't get rid of the damp coming in. I will upload some pictures soon. Its a white fluffy damp. Its a solid cavity wall. House was built in 1930s. I do have a step at my front door which is covering the damp proof course could this be the problem?
cheers lads

Solid cavity wall ?

Hi Matey,

If there were already salts from any damp in your brickwork, and you replastered the inside with normal gypsum plaster (browning - bonding - multifinish etc) then the salts may remain in the plaster.

If you have to keep brushing them off after replacing your step, it may be worth hacking back off and replastering with something like renderlite.

Status
Not open for further replies.