Clean edge on ceiling...

Onecoat

looked at a job where a customer had curved ceiling with a purculilar artex design.. he wanted to keep the curve pattern but skim ceiling up to it...
He’s not too keen on stop beads for whatever reason so what other options are there.
Would running some masking tape in a straight line work then pull it back at the end before it sets??

That will never look straight sounds like a swerver to me I ain’t doing the job and my gut instinct is saying I wouldn’t bother with that

Just skim down Tight off the Curve , run it in as thin as possible ,Simple enough like most on Here
So if it has a pattern on it how you gonna make that look straight going into a curve,yes you can go into the curve but no way would that look straight ever,

I'm confused by 'he wants to keep the curve pattern".

.... I really hope I don't lose sleep over this! :D
Sounds like a ceiling with hand turned cove that has been artexed with a different pattern on the cove than the lid and he likes the pattern on the cove. So op has to skim the lid but because its not inset and he doesn't want stop beads hes wondering how to get a neat edge. Maybe panel moulding?

looked at a job where a customer had curved ceiling with a purculilar artex design.. he wanted to keep the curve pattern but skim ceiling up to it...
He’s not too keen on stop beads for whatever reason so what other options are there.
Would running some masking tape in a straight line work then pull it back at the end before it sets??

Just tell him that he's having stop bead and that's all there is to it.

this is where you need a pic, if it’s anything like Jed said it would look s**t with a stop bead you’d have modern v decorative

this is where you need a pic, if it’s anything like Jed said it would look s**t with a stop bead you’d have modern v decorative
Probably would. But if you took time to read the whole thread the op says he doesnt want stop beads and what other options are there? So a plain panel moulding is another option.

Ping a chaulk line multi tool it out put a rebate in where your gonna work into and skim into it is probably the only way I would think would come out decent but to me that would come at a premium for all the extra work

Ping a chaulk line multi tool it out put a rebate in where your gonna work into and skim into it is probably the only way I would think would come out decent but to me that would come at a premium for all the extra work

Or walk away, and leave it to someone else.

I was thinking that but you’d have to rebate it a couple of inches from the finished point or it’s not going to work, if he could sand flat the edge into the cornice or whatever the f**k it is you’d have something to feather into

I was thinking that but you’d have to rebate it a couple of inches from the finished point or it’s not going to work, if he could sand flat the edge into the cornice or whatever the f**k it is you’d have something to feather into
Yeah I was more thinking to cut the line and rebate into the tightest part of the curve it’s only way I can see it being done don’t fancy it myself the dust would be all in your face the lot we done some lights once that had a kip on them on a shop fit and it was a light change as shop was done we marked lights out and then took 5mm all way round lights went in then had to make them good was a pain in the arse

Just price the hell out off it and you will not have to swerve it cos the customer will.
And there speaks a true professional and a man speaking from experience ,trouble is I’ve done that before and ended up getting the job

Tell the customer to f**k off!! Always pisses me off when a customer starts to dictate a job ! We are the professionals not them ffs. It's either your way? Beads or whatever or he can just stand there while you bang his missus in his favourite armchair !!

Tell the customer to f**k off!! Always pisses me off when a customer starts to dictate a job ! We are the professionals not them ffs. It's either your way? Beads or whatever or he can just stand there while you bang his missus in his favourite armchair !!
Ask them if they think we are good at icing cakes lol

Cheers lads for the reply’s. Some more helpful and constructive than I anticipated LOL

Can’t really swerve it now, I’ve made my bed as he’s a mate on site and I said I’d sort him out..although is ‘mates rates’ even a thing anymore ??

Would tape or Skrim work if you pulled it back on the last trowel. My only thought are I’d have to feather it all in up to the tape to avoid a lip once pulled out

Here goes,
1. set out and ping chalk lines
2. Using a tungsten blade draw scraper scrape back artex inside chalk lines approx 50 to 100mm.
3. Skim area inside chalk lines stopping just short of the chalk lines.
4. Finish edges of the skimmed area with a 1inch pair brush to create the same effect you would get on artex when finishing around a light pendant for example.
5. Immediate give customer your invoice for the the amount quoted

Et voila. Jobs a gud"un (y)

No all that does is create a dayjoint if you’re feathering in you’re not getting a straight line you’re trying to lose what you’re doing

Here goes,
1. set out and ping chalk lines
2. Using a tungsten blade draw scraper scrape back artex inside chalk lines approx 50 to 100mm.
3. Skim area inside chalk lines stopping just short of the chalk lines.
4. Finish edges of the skimmed area with a 1inch pair brush to create the same effect you would get on artex when finishing around a light pendant for example.
5. Immediate give customer your invoice for the the amount quoted

Et voila. Jobs a gud"un (y)
You know he won’t do that right lol

Use a prepared 2x1 lath instead of a stop bead then. Gives you a good clean hard edge to work too.
That's how we had to do dormer's back in the day before 3mm stop beads were available