Chase in wall that was filled in not drying (6weeks)

Members online

Matty2000

I had my bathroom plastered 6 and a half weeks ago. It all dried pretty quickly. They filled in 2 chases, one on internal wall and one of external wall.

All the plaster and the internal chase dried pretty quickly. However, the external chase has been painfully slow to dry.

There are no pipes in there anymore and the new pipes installed just below are not connected to mains yet so it cant be a leak. The outside wall was rerendered 2 years ago and I have no guttering issues.

It started to look dry until I drilled into it and collected the dust (right of photo) its like clay, i also drilled into the dry internal chase and collected the dust from that too (left of photo) and u can see the difference.

Also the area just looks and feels different to the rest of the plaster in the room, its feel rougher, its really patchy, and has dark spots in places where as the rest looks really good.

Any ideas why this could be, and any ideas what i can do.

Its going to be the shower wall so it will be tanked before tiling, is it too drastic to remove the plaster in that area and fill the chase with foam and cover with a tile backer board or moisture resistant plaster board? Or full the chase with something quick drying like easyfil

Attachments

• IMG_5732.JPG
    IMG_5732.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 536
  • IMG_5733.PNG
    IMG_5733.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 595
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 525
I had my bathroom plastered 6 and a half weeks ago. It all dried pretty quickly. They filled in 2 chases, one on internal wall and one of external wall.

All the plaster and the internal chase dried pretty quickly. However, the external chase has been painfully slow to dry.

There are no pipes in there anymore and the new pipes installed just below are not connected to mains yet so it cant be a leak. The outside wall was rerendered 2 years ago and I have no guttering issues.

It started to look dry until I drilled into it and collected the dust (right of photo) its like clay, i also drilled into the dry internal chase and collected the dust from that too (left of photo) and u can see the difference.

Also the area just looks and feels different to the rest of the plaster in the room, its feel rougher, its really patchy, and has dark spots in places where as the rest looks really good.

Any ideas why this could be, and any ideas what i can do.

Its going to be the shower wall so it will be tanked before tiling, is it too drastic to remove the plaster in that area and fill the chase with foam and cover with a tile backer board or moisture resistant plaster board? Or full the chase with something quick drying like easyfil
Hi there, they may have used something like Carlite Bonding to fill the chase out, quick, easy, but very porous and loves to suck up internal moisture, which you would have had a fair bit of while the plastering was being done. The other issue is that it's an external wall, which is a cold wall (if there is little or no insulation-or no cavity) these are the walls that draw the warm moist air from your home, hence the spoiling-staining. In my experience, once Carlite Bonding has spoilt, it doesn't really ever dry back (if it is Bonding) i'd be tempted to hack it off, because that stuff is like a sponge to internal moisture, it was never designed for patching solid walls, it's intended use was for roughing up over cast concrete and very low suction backgrounds. As for your thought on A cement fibre tile board, absolutely, infact, I wouldn't put plaster anywhere near an area that is subject to a high degree of moisture, doesn't really make sense to put a very porous material next to water! good luck.

That looks like efflorescence to me...salt coming through.
I'd hack off and get some damp proof membrane behind it.

Who's is the brand new trowel in the first pic? lol they have used the wrong backing plaster by the looks of it.
Haha that would be mine, i only use it for small jobs, its my small jobs trowl. I think they used bonding, a friend of mine mentioned he never uses bonding on external walls coz it sweats and can sometimes never dry, so u used a sand and cement mix. He suggested i remove it and fill with one coat. Doesnt have to look good as ill be tanking and and tiling over.

Hi there, they may have used something like Carlite Bonding to fill the chase out, quick, easy, but very porous and loves to suck up internal moisture, which you would have had a fair bit of while the plastering was being done. The other issue is that it's an external wall, which is a cold wall (if there is little or no insulation-or no cavity) these are the walls that draw the warm moist air from your home, hence the spoiling-staining. In my experience, once Carlite Bonding has spoilt, it doesn't really ever dry back (if it is Bonding) i'd be tempted to hack it off, because that stuff is like a sponge to internal moisture, it was never designed for patching solid walls, it's intended use was for roughing up over cast concrete and very low suction backgrounds. As for your thought on A cement fibre tile board, absolutely, infact, I wouldn't put plaster anywhere near an area that is subject to a high degree of moisture, doesn't really make sense to put a very porous material next to water! good luck.
The external wall is solid (no cavity) so that cant be helping. If i was to fill it what would u recommend

I place membrane up then fix plaster board over the top with these
Screenshot_20170412-093911.png
Never had any issues but it might be difficult in chases.
Always had trouble with efflorescence when using sand/cement that's why I place a physical barrier there now.

Seen it a few times and its not bonding that's problem,,,its solid wall,,sure sign is the salt.it will need hacked off.

Cheers all.

Had plaster round, didnt really know whats happened other than its still drying, and said he could rip it out and refill so said id have a think.... he wont be able to come back till after easter anyway so ive ripped it out myself, took my 5 mins with a drill and a no 10 drill bit. Was came out like butter.

Got a heater on it to dry out and then gota decide what to fill it with. Due to time im thinkinging, foam insulation, then cover with tile backer board, i have some 6mm hardibacker left from when i tiled the floor so was thinking maybe screw 2 layers of that flush with the wall and fill joins with tile adhesive as hardi recommends u do. That way only have to wait 24hrs for foam and adhesive to dry than i can tank it.

If that sounds like a bad idea, tell me quickly before i do it please haha

Cheers for all your comments so far, really do appreciate it.

Heres a pic...
The bricks were damp after i removed it all

Attachments

• IMG_5768.JPG
    IMG_5768.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 292
You have two choices you either fill with sand and cement then fix the boards or leave it and fix the boards the choice is yours.