Ceiling Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumpy

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but can anyone give me some idea regarding a price to skim a recently installed bedroom plasterboard ceiling which is approx 15sq metres. The job is in Stoke on Trent and needs to be done on Friday or Saturday of this week. I may also have a living room in a house I am renovating which is approx 4m x 4m, four wall and an artexed ceiling. Cash on completion!
Thanks

Hi Flynnman
Unfortunately it looks like I will have to do it myself then if I can't get anyone more local. Thanks for
the offer though.

no problem my friend but for that money you get a plasterer who can skim faster and neater than any machine that has been built, up to today.

Quite agree Richard. A mate of a mate is now doing it on Monday, £90 plus mats. If everything is OK with his work I have some further work for him which will keep him good for a while.

I would have thought it was better to earn £90 cash for half a days work than sit at home doing nothing. I'd be quite happy to earn £90 x 5 = £450 for five mornings or two and a half days work. Come to think of it now is £90 too much?

As I have said previously if everything is OK I will have some more work for him.

Sat morning, get to the job at 8 bang it out in 3 hours leave a spot on job ..... id do it for £100 cash including mat's every saturday of the year.

Thats £90 cash in your pocket after mat's for 3 hours, in my eyes thats the weeks shopping and a nice chinese and dvd for sat night.

working on the basis of charging a days money for half a days work because you havent got another half day job to go to...
if the job was 2 ceilings would you charge the same price?

Chris W said:
working on the basis of charging a days money for half a days work because you havent got another half day job to go to...
No i run a business not a charity , if your happy working for peanuts crack on , but don't come whingeing on here cause the rate in the trade are crap (everyone i mean not just you Chris) so many times we see posts about crap rates and customers telling us what they want to pay , are they gonna pay our early retirement cause of shoulder, wrist , back trouble etc no i think not !!! its about time you started to think like a business men and not plasterers competing to get the jop cos that what a client dictates !!!!!! it fuuckin infuriates me when you talk like cuuuntts, "get a grip" or get out of the trade and let some real business men deal with the trades and clients
Regards
A very mad warrior

Chris W said:

Yes and it would still be half a day.

I do hear saying paul with regards to 'business sense' etc...
it would appear that there are two kinds of people in this world... winners and losers...
it would appear im a loser because i havent got this 'killer instinct' which is basically a friendly term for taking advantage of a situation or person (the latter being a problem for me) for personal gain. To me there is a line that when crossed converts an individual from being a 'businessman' to being a crook... and Im not suggesting you are one, im just trying to illustrate a point. It wouldnt matter to me if your going rate was £150 per ceiling but to use the excuse that you need to charge a full day for half a days work because you cant fill the other half day doesnt hold water in my opinion.
If you went to a mechanic for a service they usually charge by the hour. If the service was three hours youd expect to pay 3 hours work plus materials plus vat.
If he charged you 8 hours because he didnt have another job in the afternoon youd tell him to f'ck right off..
half a day for 2 hours work in the building game to me is acceptable but not a full day for 3 hours work, that to me is taking the p'ss... like i said, theres a fine line, something which i have a problem with, and thats probably why ill never make any money.. and as for sticking 500 quid on top just for 'f'ck it', if you can justify that extra cost fine, if not its just blatant ripping off, im sure weve all done and still do similar things just because we can see the job being a pain, especially following someone elses work, but you just dont publicise stuff like that do you? If I was that customer and i read that I'd feel like you were taking me for a c'nt..
no disrepect intended, its just my opinion..

and flynny.. 4 ceilings then, having to move all the gear and do one per set for whatever reason... whatever you consider to be a days work... still the same with added materials?
but i see what your saying... i charge by the set, size / location is irrevelant, once ive seen the job its whatever i feel i can comfortably do in 3 hours, allowing for prep, 2 coats, new mix 2nd coat and they shift all the furniture / whatever..
so, i'd do the one ceiling for 100 quid cash everyday of the week, but if i had to move and hit another one in another set it'd be more like 200, and so on... if i find its gonna go off quick and i can get 3 sets in the day i can make 300 quid...

if i can hit the 2 in one set its back to 100 quid again (okay maybe 110 for a couple of extra bags)

btw, i TELL the customer how i work my pricing out, if they wanna clear two adjacent rooms for me of average / small size of which I will designate to save themselves a onner they can. I have no problem with it at all, it saves me sitting there like a lemon waiting for it to pull in. If they wanna be awkward for whatever reason they cost themselves money. I have no problem with that either.

I think people are trying to be too greedy and charge a days wages for half a days work. As you have said Chris about the mechanic charging for a days wages to service your van and this is applicable to lots of other trades as well. Daughters better half is a self employed bricklayer and the rates he is now working for is a lot less than a year or two ago but as he says if you don't accept them you do not earn and someone else will do the job. People then moan they do not have any work but in these times of a recession we all have to accept lower prices if we want to carry on working and earn a crust.

This particular job I originally posted is a nice easy job on a new boarded ceiling approx. 15 sq/m which is only half of the bedroom in a large bungalow (no stairs to climb) and with no furniture or carpet in there as well.

lumpy said:
I think people are trying to be too greedy and charge a days wages for half a days work. As you have said Chris about the mechanic charging for a days wages to service your van and this is applicable to lots of other trades as well. Daughters better half is a self employed bricklayer and the rates he is now working for is a lot less than a year or two ago but as he says if you don't accept them you do not earn and someone else will do the job. People then moan they do not have any work but in these times of a recession we all have to accept lower prices if we want to carry on working and earn a crust.

This particular job I originally posted is a nice easy job on a new boarded ceiling approx. 15 sq/m which is only half of the bedroom in a large bungalow (no stairs to climb) and with no furniture or carpet in there as well.
Heard it all before !!!!

we just give prices ill remember next time to say .....well thats 200 quid .........and just over half a days work is that ok sir?............................

Unless you are pricing up a job for an older person who is not as sharpe as they once were or for someone who is (this is not PC) not the full ticket I don't think you can rip someone off if you are giving a fixed price. If I priced a job for £600 that was only going to take me half a day I wouldn't expect to get it, there should be someone willing to do it for less. But if they accept the price then I wouldn't think I'd ripped them off, they choose to accept my price for whatever reason, be it my reputation, my knowledge of their type of job or just my dazzling good looks and charm ::)
Oh and if you really think that when you get charged for 3 hours by a garage that they actually spent 3 hours working on it then you are delusional.

i agree a price is a price regardless of how long it takes
and i rip off the eldery andy too ;D

A price is a price but £190 cash which is the equivilent of £253.30 on the cards for 3 hours work on a saturday morning is to much.

I run a business Warrior and am doing well and making profit if i was trying the above game on with customers then I wouldnt have a business. Its not the customers fault if you have no work in the afternoon its yours.

warriorupnorth said:
lumpy said:

Heard it all before !!!!

correct ive heard ducks fart before, chris makin a comparison to a mechanic is pointless they are the worste for ripping people off. I said in a previous post some people are happy for you to be there all week for £500 and then pull there face at me for doing a good job in two never mind ive put them in front by three days. What takes you a full day might take me half or oasis 3 days so the half a day is irrelivent, your payin for the ceiling....................get it. forget half a day, full day a week or a month your on a price, lumpy your not doin anyone favours coz of the recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.