Carbon trowels

Members online

John j

Mono Don
After using a stainless steel mt . I gone for a nella carbon .not sure bout it yet but only used it twice so not broke in yet. Just wondered on best way to look after em as I k now there prone to rust. And do you rate em over steel

I'm using one at the moment on sand and cement so it's early days yet.Seems like a good solid trowel.I've two good mt carbon for skimming and a rub of a towel and light spray of wd40 after use does the job.I personally find them good although nothing wrong with a good stainless steel trowel.Each to their own.

I've got 3 Carbon trowels now , one is the business mt absolute beauty now , the nela I'm using with backing coat work and rendering and it's absolutely solid and took a while to become useable on skim especially to finish, they do take time to wear in , also have an old tyzack that is second hand but is absolutely solid too tbh I only pull that out on reveals sometimes and some area detail work as it's small

I don't have one but thinking of it,you can do somthing to them to stop from rusting can't you?blacken it or somthing along them lines please advise anyone???

I don't have one but thinking of it,you can do somthing to them to stop from rusting can't you?blacken it or somthing along them lines please advise anyone???

Use them daily, you don't have to do anything with them.

I'm breaking a nela carbon in at the moment. Been using it regular, keeping it clean and it still hasn't changed colour yet. The marshalltowns would have gone dark by now. These must be a different grade or make up of steel.

Use them daily, you don't have to do anything with them.

I'm breaking a nela carbon in at the moment. Been using it regular, keeping it clean and it still hasn't changed colour yet. The marshalltowns would have gone dark by now. These must be a different grade or make up of steel.
Sound

that is correct :D I will be showing how to do it sooon :D If I can remember :D Trowel is not here yet though

A bit of spray oil and a wipe with paper towel so it don't drip off and onto the magnetic knife rack in van. Sorted. 25 seconds at the end of the day

Great stuff mate
Fair enough it might not need doing but it looks cool

IMG_1308.JPG

Always used carbons only had one ss in 34 years i find them great to use skimming straight away

I.ve got the Nela carbon but it's got little black spots on all ready. How long do you leave it in the coke and vinegar and how often

I.ve got the Nela carbon but it's got little black spots on all ready. How long do you leave it in the coke and vinegar and how often
To remove rust i leave metal for 24 hours in vinegar. Never heard of coke for rust but I guess it will work? Put the metal in a bag and add some vinegar then move it about every few hours. Only need enough to coat everything so half a cup is plenty. Guess the blade will puncture bag so go carefully

To remove rust i leave metal for 24 hours in vinegar. Never heard of coke for rust but I guess it will work? Put the metal in a bag and add some vinegar then move it about every few hours. Only need enough to coat everything so half a cup is plenty. Guess the blade will puncture bag so go carefully
White or brown vinegar

White or brown vinegar
Either white or brown. You can also go to shops that sell citric acid in crystal form and just add water. Wilkinsons sell citric acid in the home brew section in small pots. I used the brown stuff on a masonry drill I found on my drive. It was covered in rust so got a small amount of brown vinegar in a freezer bag, put drill in and 24 hours later it was shiny and clean.

Either white or brown. You can also go to shops that sell citric acid in crystal form and just add water. Wilkinsons sell citric acid in the home brew section in small pots. I used the brown stuff on a masonry drill I found on my drive. It was covered in rust so got a small amount of brown vinegar in a freezer bag, put drill in and 24 hours later it was shiny and clean.
How often do you need to do it

How often do you need to do it
I only do it to remove rust from metal. If you oil trowel every day it will be fine. You would need to leave trowel un oiled and wet for more than a week for the rust to be bad enough to need treating. Bit of wire wool dose the trick if you forget to oil for a few days

You can use the citric acid to slow your set down aswell

I put my carbon trowel in vinegar to clean the rust off a few weeks ago. now i keep getting this strange urge to go to the chip shop every dinner time.:rico: