Builders leaving the trade

The most successful builder in my area never gives a fixed price. He states that the cost will be in the region of . Invoices are sent out every 2 weeks, with a contracts manager and a surveyor working to gather they must show a profit on every invoice. He employed about 200 people.

The most successful builder in my area never gives a fixed price. He states that the cost will be in the region of . Invoices are sent out every 2 weeks, with a contracts manager and a surveyor working to gather they must show a profit on every invoice. He employed about 200 people.
Sounds like a well run outfit. Not many that efficient about.

Sounds like a well run outfit. Not many that efficient about.

It is well run a lot of the workforce have been with the firm for years. When I have done jobs for him you must book in on Friday afternoon ,that's just dropping an invoice in a tray in the office. Then you receive payment the next Thursday direct into your bank.

It is well run a lot of the workforce have been with the firm for years. When I have done jobs for him you must book in on Friday afternoon ,that's just dropping an invoice in a tray in the office. Then you receive payment the next Thursday direct into your bank.
Sounds like my kind of contractor.
Very reassuring working for people like that.

I f**k**g hate private customers. I avoid them at all cost. They are all c**ts

I've become pretty good at spotting them early.

So much so - that in the 1st conversation, within seconds, depending on how they ask and what their approach is - I'll know whether it's even worth going round there.

I've got a tick list (in my head), if all checks out, then test passed - I'll get round.

ANY alarm bells or hint of agg I'll swerve it like the plague.
Just need quotes....
Just wondering....
Insurance company said.....
Want to know how......
The guys we just had in......

The Mrs thinks I'm mental, but time and time again I'm proved right.

All so true.

Stressful game now and the customers are definitely getting worse.
I think that people generally seem to have a real air of self entitlement. You see it on the roads, walking around town, everywhere you go. Things have 100% gotten worse since covid, I think it was the effects of lockdown?
I'm the same as you when talking to potential clients for the first time, many get told we're not interested straightaway.
I've actually mentioned this to some of the people we've worked for and they genuinely don't realise that tradesmen pick their customers just the same as they pick us.

So much so - that in the 1st conversation, within seconds, depending on how they ask and what their approach is - I'll know whether it's even worth going round there.

I've got a tick list (in my head), if all checks out, then test passed - I'll get round.

Just need quotes....
Just wondering....
Want to know how......

Your far from mental in this regard, unfortunately people these days think they're smarter than they really are.
Chuck in an unhealthy amount of self entitlement and you end up with absolute T***s. It's almost as if self awareness has been wiped from the collective consciousness.

Just need quotes....
Just wondering....
Want to know how......

Iv got a similar check list with customers
Be gentle with me
I’m your dads mate
Just a quick skim
It just needs
There’s only this bit
It’s not a big job
It won’t take long
Sharpen the pencil
Some of them would be happy if I did the job for free and couldn’t pay my mortgage at the end of the month, selfish bastards think you’re not allowed to make a profit.
Had a woman recently (brown) tell me I should charge her £150 to prep and skim a 4m square room walls and ceiling

All builders are greedy bellends 90% of em do deserve work there that shite . Fuk em I couldn't care less they deserve all they get IMHO
Since when did you get so angry haha
are you not getting out in your bike enough? I know I’m not, shite weather.

Since when did you get so angry haha
are you not getting out in your bike enough? I know I’m not, shite weather.
I've been out mtbing plenty . Few peak district runs couple Rivington. I'm not angry I'm just truthful builders are tools . I've probably met 2 or 3 proper thorough ones in 35 years in the game . Ha ha you still got your mtb or you enduro bike now ???

Prime example here of so called builders
20231206_101623.jpg
20231207_092342.jpg
20231207_092347.jpg

I've been out mtbing plenty . Few peak district runs couple Rivington. I'm not angry I'm just truthful builders are tools . I've probably met 2 or 3 proper thorough ones in 35 years in the game . Ha ha you still got your mtb or you enduro bike now ???
You should let me know when you’re heading up rivi and I’ll meet you.
Not been out much, using a gravel bike on the road to stay fit. Other than that enduro motorbike. Was in IOM in October, green laning heaven. Hard graft with a stinking hangover every day :birra:

Ghastly utter toy town builders can't even cut an opening straight. Walls fooked just patch the top . Oh dear no thanks

Not been out much, using a gravel bike on the road to stay fit. Other than that enduro motorbike. Was in IOM in October, green laning heaven. Hard graft with a stinking hangover every day :birra:
Yes I will do . Gravel bikes are great might invest in a sonder camino myself this spring .

Yes that doesn't mix dragging bikes about and rough from beer

Yes I will do . Gravel bikes are great might invest in a sonder camino myself this spring .
I got a Nukeproof Digger. Got a dropper seat post on it too haha great bit of kit. Pushed it too hard and knackered the rear wheel bearing already though. Have to remember it isn’t a mountain bike.

I got a Nukeproof Digger. Got a dropper seat post on it too haha great bit of kit. Pushed it too hard and knackered the rear wheel bearing already though. Have to remember it isn’t a mountain bike.
There a great bike them diggers . Yes it's rivi . Ha ha

One of these, recognise the location?

Well I'm impressed by his skills, glad they put the last fail bit in. As a backpacker I'm not sure where I stand on bikes off road - they cause damage to paths etc but then so do walkers, and some can be dangerous entitled c**nts who thi9nk you should move for them like they are superior, but others are fine. Conversely some walkers can be c*nts too and deliberately block when they could move or hold onto their rabid dog...National Trust and the other mob now seriously considering banning bikes (incl motorbikes) in favpoiur of wlkers but not sure I agree or like the idea of their controlling negative attitudes.

Well I'm impressed by his skills, glad they put the last fail bit in. As a backpacker I'm not sure where I stand on bikes off road - they cause damage to paths etc but then so do walkers, and some can be dangerous entitled c**nts who thi9nk you should move for them like they are superior, but others are fine. Conversely some walkers can be c*nts too and deliberately block when they could move or hold onto their rabid dog...National Trust and the other mob now seriously considering banning bikes (incl motorbikes) in favpoiur of wlkers but not sure I agree or like the idea of their controlling negative attitudes.
Agree completely. Good and bad in both sides. Yes they really are leaning on off roaders now. Policing popular runs in the peaks recently. Easy targets rather than catching real criminals.