Bristol based looking for repair due to poor workmanship/render

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
People always want to blame the tradesman in these conditions.
Don't get me wrong it does look like poor workmanship.
What is also forgotten is although the client is looking for a 'professional' to do the job it is also partly down to neglect on the clients behalf sometimes. It is there duty to find a suitable 'professional'.
Just going for the first person or the cheapest or cheaper option isn't using due care and attention. To many times you see jobs where clients aren't happy and it always seems to be because they've used someone without doing any research.
Any competent professional will be happy to provide references, give details of previous work etc.
That's why the Cowboys will always remain and never ride off into the sunset! It's not nice knowing people have spent a lot of money to have something done to find it been done poorly but they also have a duty to employ the right person whether it comes at a price or not.

@Jgreenplastering this was one of the last jobs following a complete renovation and extension, it was supposed to give the house a modern contemporary look but I now I wish I never had it done. I've had so many issues with trades that on this particular job I got a few quotes, checked out previous work etc but have still had problems.
The front has now been painted with rendit colour matched paint but needs a second coat, so I can live with that. The cracks I guess I'll have to attempt to repair myself.
I'm a plumbing and heating engineer so know what it's like dealing with the public, but would never leave a job like this.

Looks like they might have used 10 mm beads in order to save on render. This might explain why the beads are moving/cracking etc. It's quite obviously poor workmanship though rather than poor products
Glad someone has attempted to explain beads cracking

Can anyone tell me if they stick or tack on there plastic beads I was thought it was ok to do both?

@Azzer1704 the picture with the lead work do think that crack is where the lead finished? And to all the regular mono users would u lot of put your plastic bead over the lead with your mono?

@Jgreenplastering this was one of the last jobs following a complete renovation and extension, it was supposed to give the house a modern contemporary look but I now I wish I never had it done. I've had so many issues with trades that on this particular job I got a few quotes, checked out previous work etc but have still had problems.
The front has now been painted with rendit colour matched paint but needs a second coat, so I can live with that. The cracks I guess I'll have to attempt to repair myself.
I'm a plumbing and heating engineer so know what it's like dealing with the public, but would never leave a job like this.

I was generalising and didn't mean you directly, although yours did seem like a typical example. Sorry for any offence caused.

Doesn't sound like you've had much luck with the work in general then.

Looks like they might have used 10 mm obeads in order to save on render. This might explain why the beads are moving/cracking etc. It's quite obviously poor workmanship though rather than poor products

I thought 10mm beads are suitable depending on the system used?
It could be cheap beads which are known to expand a lot which results in cracking.
I usually tack my beads in the base coat and mesh to help reduce cracking chances.

Usually dab my beads on first...
Oh and loving the avatar vince...:risas:
Thanks...i am a late comer to monocouche...first one booked in two weeks...keep seeing all these problems with the mono and wish I told the dude to just go with sand and cement which have always used and not had any problems..I post the pictures of the job before the customer gets chance too..:frenetico:

Thanks...i am a late comer to monocouche...first one booked in two weeks...keep seeing all these problems with the mono and wish I told the dude to just go with sand and cement which have always used and not had any problems..I post the pictures of the job before the customer gets chance too..:frenetico:
I dont do mono myself,...but in general i just bed beads with the base coat im using ? Mabye mono is different? One of the monosapians on here will advise you with your mono job for sure(y)

to many people having a go with out knowledge on the product causes this sort of work

10 mm beads dabbed will not cause that ,we only use 10mm but the mono is 15mm with the dab
Keith when you say dabbed do you put dabs x amount of distance apart and then the bead will sit slightly in the dabs which leaves the back of the bead off the actual substrate?
If so isn't this is what can cause twisting and moving of the bead which results in cracking after setting?

And are you on about new block work or in general?

Just interested how others do it.

If new block work we use 15mm beads and muck fully in tight and allow to set before topping.
If old work we muck the beads in with the base coat and mesh.

Keith when you say dabbed do you put dabs x amount of distance apart and then the bead will sit slightly in the dabs which leaves the back of the bead off the actual substrate?
If so isn't this is what can cause twisting and moving of the bead which results in cracking after setting?

And are you on about new block work or in general?

Just interested how others do it.

If new block work we use 15mm beads and muck fully in tight and allow to set before topping.
If old work we muck the beads in with the base coat and mesh.
yes you got it ,we dab with the colour mono we are spraying ,as for "moving and twisting ,and cracking " No mate never had a problem with that ,its all i do is mono ,so not a "have a goer "

What happened on the back of the house was the first attempt had the streaks and patches, knauf came out and said to go again on top. I'm guessing to cut corners the guys didn't re-bead, but just went on top as thin as they could get away with and tapered off at the existing beads. When they tried to scrape it just went straight back through to the original coat.
They then told me it had failed and that they would do it a third time. This time they stuck on the beads, but i did ask them whether the extra thin coat would be sufficient to hold another layer/beads. They told me that once its on the wall it all fuses together and would be fine. Im assuming the cracks are where the thin layer underneath couldnt hold it???

lol id rather be a white rough c**t than walk down the street and have someone think look at that black c**t

Status
Not open for further replies.