Boarding over lath and plaster.

Ipfreshwater

Hello, not posted before but would like some advise. Has anyone had issues overboarding lath and plaster? It’s on old Victorian end of terrace, ground floor I am not to worried about as the joists are 7x2s so I doubt the extra weight will be an issue but 1st floor joists are only 3x2 and the spans are about 3.5mtrs but are broken with a low level 7x3 purlin connected above the joist run. It’s unoccupied so it will be a shitty job to take them down but I can without it affecting anything (other than my lungs). Be grateful of your views.
Also intending on using a breathable plaster (Limelite backing and finish) for the ground floor as the previous owner papered the walls and had some repairs done in Gypsum and it’s blown all of the external walls about 2ft up. Do you think it’s worth using breathable on the external walls on the first floor? There is some repairs on this floor in Gypsum but only on the internal walls. Any advise appreciated

Hello, not posted before but would like some advise. Has anyone had issues overboarding lath and plaster? It’s on old Victorian end of terrace, ground floor I am not to worried about as the joists are 7x2s so I doubt the extra weight will be an issue but 1st floor joists are only 3x2 and the spans are about 3.5mtrs but are broken with a low level 7x3 purlin connected above the joist run. It’s unoccupied so it will be a shitty job to take them down but I can without it affecting anything (other than my lungs). Be grateful of your views.
Also intending on using a breathable plaster (Limelite backing and finish) for the ground floor as the previous owner papered the walls and had some repairs done in Gypsum and it’s blown all of the external walls about 2ft up. Do you think it’s worth using breathable on the external walls on the first floor? There is some repairs on this floor in Gypsum but only on the internal walls. Any advise appreciated
Tomorrow . Its in the post .

When I overboard a lath and plaster ceiling. I find the centre of the joists knock a nail half in. then ping a chalk line across the ceiling. On the joist that the cut boards are going to meet just check with nails that you still have centre before you cut the board. I use a board lifter so that I can fit boards on my own. There is a pattern of fixing the boards so that there are no gaps on the joints.

Reactions: 000