Best way into the trade??????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylar

Im 20 and have been considering plastering for quite a while. I know its tough out there but it will get better. I have been looking at various courses for months. I have looked at the job center website under training and there are an awful lot of courses but i don't know what is best. There are courses that are 2 grand that last only weeks but are they really worth it. I am willing to be taken under someones wing and learn the long route and would be willing to do so for little or no pay. So what is your best advice please? ???

plastering is a job you need to do to learn and before you even pick up a trowel you should spend a good 6 months labouring..........courses arent a complete waste of time if youre in a position where you know a bit about the trade and feel youre not getting a chance then go on one mate ..........if anyone thinks you can go on a course and become a plasterer youre heads in the clouds ......it takes at least good 5 years of graft and then youll get close to getting good
try anything dont just think about skimming try and get in with a lad who does it all ;)

get yourself with a spread if u can offer your services for a free for while if u can afford to, with you being under 21 you should be able to get a college night course doing your nvq 2 for free check it out if not it will cos about 500 for the 1 yr course u learn at a steady pace as well as getting your experience with a time served spread you will learn an awful lot just labouring for a proper spread

spunkybum...sorry mate i make u wrong there..its down to the individual....
u can do a short course but then u have to hook up with another plasterer to further your education....ive only been spreading for 4 years or so.....i hit the ground running....i started plastering for domestic within 1 month of a course for a kitchen company and a good one at that..i still do work for them..i started working for builders and agin still work for them...id say my quality of work is the same then as it is now i just get there quicker thats all..... Maybe i wanted it more than some ..i dont know ...i take pride in my work and am always willing to learn off of someone who knows more than me...lol which theres quite a few...what im trying to say is my head wernt in the clouds...clouds of smoke sometimes but not the clouds....its down to the individual if sylar wants it bad enough, gets a few breaks and can talk the talk...who knows what his capable of....5 years b*ll***s....you can be good in a couple if u get enough practice and enough tutoring by the right spread....dont think im being funny , im not trying to be, its just ive heard that 5 to 10 years bit before.....& im not having it ;0) but i will say something...there is lots and lots of graft

tbh what does my head in is when theres always the 'you can earn 200 a day' thing at the end of the spill ....and then theres the cost ...sorry mate i still think youre better off learning on the job

good for you by the way .......it does come down to the person who wants to learn and get on

thx
but getting a head start at a college is always a good thing surly...he only 20 so hes got time...i didnt...im now 38 and started at 34....

its upto him all the best though :)..........i started at 23 and i think we both had an advantage as we'd both managed to keep f**k**g up till we found something to get our teeth into ;D..........i went the labour route so i only speak from my experience ......but it is a time served game anyone do a course if you want but be prepared to learn after for a few years

I'm 40 and want to get into the trade,hard for me cus who wants to take on a 40 year old apprentice.
My only route is plastering course then offer my services for free to a few spreads just to gain some experience.
Hopefully i'll get on cus ive never been a slacker and allways done a fair days graft.

do a short course min 8 days.... then get in with a local spread just be his labourer learn tons more that way .... unfortunately now isn't the time to be asking ...... sorry pal best advice i can give you

Wow i have been away for a while, some great info and advice thanks. I am taking it all on board so all opinions are welcome. I really do want it, more than anything! I know that now isn't a very good time to be trying to break into the trade but when i'm willing to offer my services for free so whats the harm. I am going to try to plaster my kitchen for a start and i will try and get some pics up. Believe me, even if it all goes completely wrong there is no way that the kitchen could look any worse than it does lol. :D

Sylar, i can relate to where your coming from,courses are ok,i done a 1 week course,and managed to get what i would consider "big" plastering jobs for a noob ,studding bonding skimming, double tack <<( like that one).
I got the course right at the last minute, cheaper!
Must admit learnt more on site then i did in that one week. And still learning (lots) nearly a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.