bellcasts & (rendering pictures)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christ

Private Member
do u have to use bellcast or can u use stop beads..... at the bottom. cheers

also if any one has any photographs of S&C rendering jobs they've done. especially pictures of corners where the bellcasts meet the angle beads or any pictures really, even pictures of scratch coats ... it would be much appreciated if u could posted them so i could have a look. cheers

or if there are any old posts that have pictures... cheers

i tend to use stop beads but theres no reason why you cant use bellcast. when it comes to the external angle using bellcast i've seen people cut all three beats half an inch short and just form it with s&c, that way if you catch it walking past its not sharp.

also when attaching bellcasts above doors and windows how much of the bellcast do u have either of the window or door is there a set measurement u all use. cheers

I always look how the beads are set out on the rest of the house. if im on a ext i set the beads so they match in with the rest of the property and go through these details with the client or builder so you get no come backs.You get your own way of doing things but make sure they are happy with the way you are doing it.

SkyZOO said:
also when attaching bellcasts above doors and windows how much of the bellcast do u have either of the window or door is there a set measurement u all use. cheers
i usually cut it to the edge of the mesh on your angle bead, every1 is all the same then

usually match it to the drip on the bottom of the window if not a couple of inches either side .........can be 3 etc just make sure there all the same
ps measure of the window edge not the reveal sometimes the brickies/window fitters can be half insh out with eachother

spunky said:
spunky said:
usually match it to the drip on the bottom of the window if not a couple of inches either side .........can be 3 etc just make sure there all the same
ps measure of the window edge not the reveal sometimes the brickies/window fitters can be half insh out with eachother
bellcasts mate it creates a curve that directs the water away from the dpc

Spot on, you're on a roll there spunky, I don't want to be accused of advertising but if you look on my website Sky there are plenty of pics of renders on there.

Bell casts are what every one used for rendering at one point (or laths to form one) but with the modern rendering techniques it is a drip bead , you will see on most modern rendering jobs there is not a big cast of like there used to be , now its all about clean straight lines , so the drip bead is the same projection as an angle bead and every thing meats up all nice neat and flat n square , but over windows and at dpc level etc alway's use a drip bead and not a stop bead, as these do not prevent water from running back on to the substrate/structure, if you go to one of the major monocouche sites they provide details on a pdf on the correct way to finish around details etc , you will find these really informative mate ,

Bellcast, drip bead and renderstop are just different names for the same thing, used by different manufactures when talking about metal beads. This may be different with the plastic beads used with the modern renders, as I've only used the one make I don't know. I've got three different makes of stainless drip beads in the unit at the moment and they all allow about 25mm of render so the angle beads are set up back from them at windows and swept out to them at the corners at the bottom of the render.

if i use a drip bead, what depth should i be looking at using 20mm.... that way a can set all the beads 20mm and it will all be square(ish) .....

what depth do u lads set your beads at for rendering. cheers

right ive looked on the wickes website and they sell ss dripbeads(stopbeads) with a depth of 16/20mm what do they mean by 16 to 20 mm ?

i just dont get how the depth on a stop bead(dripbead) is adjustable........im gona go to wickes/B&Q 2moro and have a look at some beads.

SkyZOO said:
i just dont get how the depth on a stop bead(dripbead) is adjustable........im gona go to wickes/B&Q 2moro and have a look at some beads.
A stop bead is not the same as a drip bead or bell cast , stop beads have a 90 Degree angle hence stop, drip and bell cast beads have something like a 115-120 degree angle , the old style steel bell cast bead had a projection of about 20mm which stuck out beyond your usual angle beads and that's when you used to let them run by the window reveals by about 75mm and make a feature out of it, but now they are all 10mm projection or 15mm so that your drip and your angles meet up ( i think you can get an 18mm as well), is it me or are you lot makin hard work of this , Skyzoo have a look at this

https://www.parex.co.uk/mesh_beads_profiles2.php
Down load their pdf and it will give you some insight , lots of other stuff on there also, hope this clears up any confusion ???

I don't know about up your way Warrior but down here if you walk into a merchants to buy some drip beads they will be made by either Catnic, Expamet or Locusrite and as far as I'm aware they only make drip beads in the one size (25mm projection). That Parex site was worth a look, is it possible to get their beads in less than full box quantities? Sky I have stainless stop beads in 10mm, 13mm, 16mm and 19mm they're not adjustable.

i'll go get a get some drip beads 2moro at have a mess around with them...... it'll probably make more sense to me if attach them to the wall.. with the angle beads. cheers

i thought u might think that im milking it i bit...... sorry :D just trying to understand ahhhhh

i just dont understand the use of 10mm beads when two coat render systems are 20mm

also 16mm drip beads would u use them with two coats?

Sky there are certain situations where I need to put a 10mm stop bead onto the first coat render (to long to explain) and the 16mm are used where I need a stop on top of lead work, the thickness of the lead + 16mm bead = 19mm so it matches in with the rest of the beading.

skyzoo you wont get a 20mm thickness of s/c unless its ina spec ..the drips are heavier so you form a drip
buy stainless steel bellcast beads and angle beads and put them on after youve scratched it and dub the areas around the bead out
stay a foot away from the bellcast beads or when you put them on theyll be another 6mm heavier again.............still following ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.