Bay window project

Members online

Hi I've just joined this forum hoping to get a bit of guidance on a diy project I'm gonna undertake in the next few weeks.
I have a sandstone bay window that's looking worn and in need of repair so I intend to render over the window mullions and across the top of the window in a colour match as close as possible.
Was thinking of using corner beads and mesh to help keep it neat.

Not sure about how thick to render n what depth bead to buy wether it be galvanised or plastic, and if I should use the recommended lime because it's sandstone or just do it in sand n cement with a colour pigment through it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Bay window project
Bay window project

Why would you do such thing? I'd just replace the horrid pointing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Good luck with that.
Beads etc will look dink on that imo, not being funny but could you not just save your pennies and get a mason to replace them for you.

I'd restore it rather than render it,
Google conserv they offer stone restoring products.
We've done a few, were you get a lime putty fill in the voids they the match the sandstone colour with a sealant that goes the lot once cured.

Bay window project
Bay window project

There's a terrace row of 10 and only 2 of us haven't had it done over the years and mines is defo the worst, so it looks too scabby to just clean up or leave as a feature.

I'd restore it rather than render it,
Google conserv they offer stone restoring products.
We've done a few, were you get a lime putty fill in the voids they the match the sandstone colour with a sealant that goes the lot once cured.
That sounds like a good solution but would a colour matched render not do more or less the same job?

I appreciate the enthusiasm but honestly some of wear and deep couges are too bad to leave.
Sneaky pic of one of the neighbours looking like new

Thanks for the suggestions guys but tbh the decision that it needs done has already been made so can anyone answer.

1. How thick each coat n total depth?
2. plastic or galvanised beads and mesh?
3. Surface prep or primer to use?

Thanks for the suggestions guys but tbh the decision that it needs done has already been made so can anyone answer.

1. How thick each coat n total depth?
2. plastic or galvanised beads and mesh?
3. Surface prep or primer to use?
Don't use beads. I'd put on a nice depth on Primer I'd use a good brand.

Don't use beads. I'd put on a nice depth on Primer I'd use a good brand.
I've got no frame of reference on what a nice depth would be, I mean is that 5mm, 50mm?
I saw somewhere its recommended to use a cement slurry as a primer, am I best using a proper product, if so which in your experience would you recommend for sand n cement onto sandstone?

It's also worth mentioning 2 doors down is done in white plastic bead and the edges all look spot on n tbh I had never ever noticed until I thought about doing it myself and starting looking.I just think it would make life much easier.
I would get a photo but I don't want to be guy on the street who takes pics in people's windows :p

I'm a brickie and wouldn't think of covering that up with render !
Once sandstone is rotten there's no repair!
I would have it all replaced, The lintel looks gone aswell,
Render will make it look good, But look what it's trying to hold up?
Just to add.. Cement on sandstone is a big NO! you'll lock in moisture and make it rot more ..

Last edited:
Just to add.. Cement on sandstone is a big NO! you'll lock in moisture and make it rot more ..

I think that is your best bet.... if a jobs worth doing......

Thanks pop, I will probably go with lime then but I would like to try and save the existing stone, its been wearing slowly over the past 150 or so years and it's holding strong enough right now so it was really just to tidy it up, surely protecting it from the wind n rain will stop it eroding any further.

Poke a screwdriver into it, if it goes any depth it's serious, I recently took down a sandstone chimney and rebuilt, Customer wanted it patched so I took him up to show him , Sandcastles on the beach had more density and his house was the school kids walk,
Obviously not trying scare ye,
Any doubt get a reputable builder or structural engineer..

Overwealming result for no beading but I'm worried about making a mess of the lines, what if I were to use a beading the depth of the scratch coat just to keep everything straight then freehand over it with the colour coat? I predict that without any sort of guide I'll end up with corners like a dogs piss in the snow. But first I'll test poking it with a screwdriver.

Rendering over sandstone is criminal. U will never make it look good by rendering, and if you use cement it will eat into the stone, if you get any cracks your f**ked.

Get your wallet out and get a stonemason in to replace damaged stone and then clean. That's the only way with this job.

FFS!! Usually if I ask someone for advice I take it, that's the whole reason is it not?
Personally I agree with pops, think he knows what he is talking about, however I see his input has been blanked so why don't you save some more money and use thin set beads with multi-finish and it'll be finished on same day? Similar colour too.. Mind the pics when it's done..

ive done these before and the only way to get a perfect match is to find a bit of blonde sand stone crush it with a hammer in a hessian bag till its basically like sand sbr the surface make the angles with a straight edge render coat as normal 4 and 1 mix but mix the one cement half grey and half white then coat on and with your crushed sandstone just dash it on untill all the coating is completely covered and the first one i done was 12 years ago and it weathered like the rest of the house and is still as good as new

ive done these before and the only way to get a perfect match is to find a bit of blonde sand stone crush it with a hammer in a hessian bag till its basically like sand sbr the surface make the angles with a straight edge render coat as normal 4 and 1 mix but mix the one cement half grey and half white then coat on and with your crushed sandstone just dash it on untill all the coating is completely covered and the first one i done was 12 years ago and it weathered like the rest of the house and is still as good as new
If you are committed to render it i would use all stainless steel beads,stainless mesh the lot,,sbr slurry splatterr coat followed by 2 coats of render,you can then paint it.It wouldnt hurt to score the stone before you splatter it.Done plenty like this.Would be nice to renew the stone,but obviously expensive.

I like the idea of dashing them in crushed sandstone. I would like to do it in lime to allow them to breathe but would a 1:1:4,5 or 6 lime cement sand mix also allow it to breathe? Also would hydrated lime be OK in this situation?
Can I just address that i do appreciate the advise to replace the stone but like has been said it will be just too expensive and I really dont think it's needed, the mullions are structurally sound, and once protected I'm confident they'll be fine. The render won't look out of place as the rest of the street have it done, some painted some colour match (ish) rendered