Autumn Project - Ibiza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibiza

Hi guys

I appreciate most of you are UK based but given the poor UK weather in Autumn I thought I would ask if you would be interested in a job in Ibiza. Finding decent trades people over here is very difficult so I’m looking at home in the UK to have the work done.

I’m about to start reforming a 400-year-old Finca in San Rafael Ibiza and intend to keep 70% of the existing stone walls, as they are 600mm thick. The walls are in varying in states with some still covered in render and some well weathered with a lot of the mortar missing. A small section of one of the buildings has had the walls rebuild with new stone. The first floor extension will be built out of block-work.

The plan is to take down the top 500mm-700mm of stone wall and build a concrete ring beam around the top 600mm wide x 500mm deep to stabilise and tie everything together. All corners of building will have stainless steel / plastic angle beads fixed to the ring beam and plumbed down to ensure all the walls are straight and true. The same process will be applied to window reveals, door reveals and parapet wall heads to ensure clean straight lines.

All of the existing render will be removed from the stonework and the walls thoroughly cleaned and sealed / primed as required. As the walls are uneven and with areas having motor missing rather than pointing all the stonework up which is very time consuming I would rather spray render the walls and fill the voids at the same time. Given the large amount of area to cover the dubbed out areas will plenty of time to cure between coats.

There is approx. 900m2 of internal and external area that requires rendering so based on following needs the following material.

900m2 x 20mm dubbing out = 18m3 of material plus say 5% for wastage = 18.9m3

900m2 x 13mm top coat = 11.7m3 of material plus say 5% for wastage = 12.3m3

Total material for 33mm of render 31.2m3

Given the walls are uneven and areas where the mortar requires filling in for pricing purposes can you price the following

Dubbing out 900m2 @ 20mm thick
Top coat 900m2 @ 13mm thick
Plaster skim coat 300m2 @ 3mm thick

Then to cover for the uneven walls and areas where mortar required filling and extra rate m3 for material over and above 31.2m3. The rate should reflect that it is much less labour intensive than the finish coats.

The render is to include a waterproof additive for damp prevention. I’m happy to take advice on the specification to suit the work I require.

Please quote extra over price for white render to approx. 450m2 of external walls.

I propose to fix either plastic or galvanised mesh to all external and internal walls to allow the render to key to the walls. I have enclosed various photos of the existing walls and an artist impression of the finished villa. I’m happy to email you as many photos of the building to allow you to see the full scope of work and condition on the walls.
You will see from the artist impression that the design is based on clean straight lines and the render finish is the key feature.

I’m happy for you to price to fix all the angles or I can have all this work done prior to you arriving.

I’m happy to listen to any technical proposals you may have for this work.

Like I said the work will need doing around about October, November and the weather is a nice 18-24 degrees with very little rain. I appreciate that there are additional costs to get here and back and accommodation while here. If you were interested in pricing the work as above I would pay the transport, fuel and accommodation separately. I presume the machine you use can be towed by a van. I towed my Jest Ski here last October and came on the over night ferry and it was a nice drive though Spain. If you needed me to get you local process for material I would be happy to do that.

The project is my own house and I will be managing the whole project.

Any technical proposals or suggestions are very welcome.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best Regards

Simon Atkin

0034 654 282 480

Sounds a great job for a team. Good luck with the project.
And discount rates for rental when done!lol

There is an excellent pool finisher on here aswell! Gooner?

Cant do them jobs by the metre rate mate ive had one on the mainland for 9 years 200 years old spent 5 years working on it and on many other projects so know the crack, would be interested but what scares me is that you will be project managing it dosent normaly work, but anyway as has been said Big Bruv is out there he knows the crack.

A town called Cehegin in Murcia about an hour inland just had to have a security gate made €500 thank you very much as they keep nicking my main electric fuse they take that out when they cut you of so they are nicking mine to get themselves back on.

Hi Simon just reading your post again but have you considered demolition and building a new house especially as want straight lines these reforms always spiral out of control with the finances at least with a new build it can be accurately costed.

I would be interested to know why it scares you me managing my own project? As a construction project manager for over 25 years and having run projects up to $9 billion dollars and having built several of my own houses I don't think I will have a problem managing the refurbishment of my own property. I put that I was managing it as I had been asked if it was my own property or doing it for a client. Most work can be done at a rate and if an extra over has to be agreed for the additional dubbing out so be it. There is a full BoQ for all of the work on the property. Like I said in my enquiry any technical proposals or suggestions are welcome. Trades men usually know the best product and method of doing the work so Im always happy to take advice. I manage the programme, interfaces and budget.

I would be interested to know why it scares you me managing my own project? As a construction project manager for over 25 years and having run projects up to $9 billion dollars and having built several of my own houses I don't think I will have a problem managing the refurbishment of my own property. I put that I was managing it as I had been asked if it was my own property or doing it for a client. Most work can be done at a rate and if an extra over has to be agreed for the additional dubbing out so be it. There is a full BoQ for all of the work on the property. Like I said in my enquiry any technical proposals or suggestions are welcome. Trades men usually know the best product and method of doing the work so Im always happy to take advice. I manage the programme, interfaces and budget.
You would do for me, great to see success,

why is ever post i just read ,so stressed out :RpS_confused: ,guys all have a good drink and come back on in an hour :RpS_cool:

why is ever post i just read ,so stressed out :RpS_confused: ,guys all have a good drink and come back on in an hour :RpS_cool:
Sorry Keith, can I ring you and unburden myself, need a good cry, ps I won't mention the knees ,well unless you want to talk about them...

If your feeling a bit stressed Keith, get yourself down the marble/Venetian section ..:RpS_thumbup:
Exotic words like ..travertino,,,marmarino,,,,,,raffaello,,ottacento,,the.. list is endless ! Calms and relaxes .:RpS_biggrin:

.failing that if you want complete calm to chill????
GoTo to the clay section...............total silence.:RpS_thumbup:

I agree..... Quite strange really I thought there was a recession in the UK and given the poor weather generally in the UK especially in Autumn, Winter I thought an opportunity to price 900m2 + 900m2 and extra over for dubbing out and fixing of beads and have transport and accommodation paid for I don't see the problem. Its not like I was offering £2.00m2 and find your own way here :)

Thanks to the guys that have replied and I will get round to sending you all the details

Now that you mention Ibiza, isnt NPS out there selling his soul to the devil......................:RpS_unsure:

Lol when was he doin the deed? Probably done now..:RpS_crying:
hope he keeps us a bit of cake.:RpS_biggrin:

Would a gyp liner / mf system not be quicker and easier to achieve the clean lines you require given the condition of the back ground your working with . Just a thought

Would a gyp liner / mf system not be quicker and easier to achieve the clean lines you require given the condition of the back ground your working with . Just a thought

Im happy to take any advice on possible options. I appreciate the project is out of the UK and don't want to waste anyones time. Happy to consider all quotations to get the right finished product. Since posting my original post I have read a lot about PVC mesh and the render cracking so again Im reviewing options.

Im happy to take any advice on possible options. I appreciate the project is out of the UK and don't want to waste anyones time. Happy to consider all quotations to get the right finished product. Since posting my original post I have read a lot about PVC mesh and the render cracking so again Im reviewing options.
well maybe you could look into such a system then a skim Finnish it's quick clean and would be far more accurate given the condition of the walls. Also regarding the ring beam are you planing on using prefab cages or fixing the steal in place either way I can help you out with beam regarding the steel fixing shuttering n concrete if your interested

well maybe you could look into such a system then a skim Finnish it's quick clean and would be far more accurate given the condition of the walls. Also regarding the ring beam are you planing on using prefab cages or fixing the steal in place either way I can help you out with beam regarding the steel fixing shuttering n concrete if your interested

Drop me an email and your number and we can discuss everything. Thanks Simon atkin.simon@gmail.com

No offence mate, crack on but being a project manager on salary with someone elses money to play with and managing your own project with your own money are two different things , you say you are happy to take advice well take mine, on a Finca that size needing ring beam and new roof and total refurb add 40% to the cost you are thinking of now and you will, be fine,trust me cheaper to pull it down and build new,good luck anyway.

No offence mate, crack on but being a project manager on salary with someone elses money to play with and managing your own project with your own money are two different things , you say you are happy to take advice well take mine, on a Finca that size needing ring beam and new roof and total refurb add 40% to the cost you are thinking of now and you will, be fine,trust me cheaper to pull it down and build new,good luck anyway.

No offence taken. I came on this site to offer people the chance to earn money. I didn't think what I was offering was controversial?? If I see an advert and its of no interest I simply move on to the next. Not sure if its a British thing but some people just cant help but be negative. Ive looked at both options and priced it but having said that its a heritage project so it wont be knocked down and rebuilt so Im looking at ALL options of how to reform the property. Ive retired at 45 so must have been pretty good at Playing Project Manager.

Thanks again to all the guys that have enquired and I will get round to sending you all the details as requested.

you also have to remember that these old fincas are stone/rocks built up off the dirt with no dpc therefore no amount of waterproofer in render will stop/cure damp, i know this from my 10 years of living & working in spain, maybe you should rethink and take the advice of @lucius and demolish and do a new build

you also have to remember that these old fincas are stone/rocks built up off the dirt with no dpc therefore no amount of waterproofer in render will stop/cure damp, i know this from my 10 years of living & working in spain, maybe you should rethink and take the advice of @lucius and demolish and do a new build

This one is built on solid rock and with the new building regulations in Spain would still require to have foundations despite being built on rock. As I said before its in a conservation area and CANNOT be knocked down. An internal DPC system is being installed.

What internal Dpc system is that? to my knowledge there isn't one for stone laid in mud/ lime would be interested to know about it or are you talking about a tanking system. regarding the ring beam get a Spanish company to do it they will have all the shuttering etc and generaly know what they are doing when it comes to this kind of work.

Hi guys

I appreciate most of you are UK based but given the poor UK weather in Autumn I thought I would ask if you would be interested in a job in Ibiza. Finding decent trades people over here is very difficult so I’m looking at home in the UK to have the work done.

I’m about to start reforming a 400-year-old Finca in San Rafael Ibiza and intend to keep 70% of the existing stone walls, as they are 600mm thick. The walls are in varying in states with some still covered in render and some well weathered with a lot of the mortar missing. A small section of one of the buildings has had the walls rebuild with new stone. The first floor extension will be built out of block-work.

The plan is to take down the top 500mm-700mm of stone wall and build a concrete ring beam around the top 600mm wide x 500mm deep to stabilise and tie everything together. All corners of building will have stainless steel / plastic angle beads fixed to the ring beam and plumbed down to ensure all the walls are straight and true. The same process will be applied to window reveals, door reveals and parapet wall heads to ensure clean straight lines.

All of the existing render will be removed from the stonework and the walls thoroughly cleaned and sealed / primed as required. As the walls are uneven and with areas having motor missing rather than pointing all the stonework up which is very time consuming I would rather spray render the walls and fill the voids at the same time. Given the large amount of area to cover the dubbed out areas will plenty of time to cure between coats.

There is approx. 900m2 of internal and external area that requires rendering so based on following needs the following material.

900m2 x 20mm dubbing out = 18m3 of material plus say 5% for wastage = 18.9m3

900m2 x 13mm top coat = 11.7m3 of material plus say 5% for wastage = 12.3m3

Total material for 33mm of render 31.2m3

Given the walls are uneven and areas where the mortar requires filling in for pricing purposes can you price the following

Dubbing out 900m2 @ 20mm thick
Top coat 900m2 @ 13mm thick
Plaster skim coat 300m2 @ 3mm thick

Then to cover for the uneven walls and areas where mortar required filling and extra rate m3 for material over and above 31.2m3. The rate should reflect that it is much less labour intensive than the finish coats.

The render is to include a waterproof additive for damp prevention. I’m happy to take advice on the specification to suit the work I require.

Please quote extra over price for white render to approx. 450m2 of external walls.

I propose to fix either plastic or galvanised mesh to all external and internal walls to allow the render to key to the walls. I have enclosed various photos of the existing walls and an artist impression of the finished villa. I’m happy to email you as many photos of the building to allow you to see the full scope of work and condition on the walls.
You will see from the artist impression that the design is based on clean straight lines and the render finish is the key feature.

I’m happy for you to price to fix all the angles or I can have all this work done prior to you arriving.

I’m happy to listen to any technical proposals you may have for this work.

Like I said the work will need doing around about October, November and the weather is a nice 18-24 degrees with very little rain. I appreciate that there are additional costs to get here and back and accommodation while here. If you were interested in pricing the work as above I would pay the transport, fuel and accommodation separately. I presume the machine you use can be towed by a van. I towed my Jest Ski here last October and came on the over night ferry and it was a nice drive though Spain. If you needed me to get you local process for material I would be happy to do that.

The project is my own house and I will be managing the whole project.

Any technical proposals or suggestions are very welcome.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best Regards

Simon Atkin

0034 654 282 480

Sounds like an interesting project. Hope it works out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.