Artex ceiling possible disturbance to asbestos?

Members online

Jast22

Hi all,

I’m a customer who doesn’t have much builders knowledge but we recently bought a house with an Artex ceiling. We are aware it may contain asbestos so we have opted to board over it and then plaster.

I contacted a family friend who is a plasterer by trade and he came round to do a quote but he ended up getting a hammer and smashing through several small holes in a line I believe to locate the joist?

I immediately got paranoid and asked him several times if this is dangerous and why he did it? And he is one of these blokes who doesn’t make much sense so it was hard to get a straight answer. But it all happened so fast. I then contacted my dad and he got him to ring me and he said quote “it would only be harmful if I sanded or scraped it, cracking it with a hammer there would be minimal dust”.

Am I being paranoid or should I Cover the holes with something? I’m not sure but would appreciate some advice on this as have a small baby so don’t want them to be harmed in any ways. Thanks.

IMG_6814.jpeg
This is the ammount of damage for context and he has left a bit of debris on the floor, what would be the best way to dispose of that?

Hi all,

I’m a customer who doesn’t have much builders knowledge but we recently bought a house with an Artex ceiling. We are aware it may contain asbestos so we have opted to board over it and then plaster.

I contacted a family friend who is a plasterer by trade and he came round to do a quote but he ended up getting a hammer and smashing through several small holes in a line I believe to locate the joist?

I immediately got paranoid and asked him several times if this is dangerous and why he did it? And he is one of these blokes who doesn’t make much sense so it was hard to get a straight answer. But it all happened so fast. I then contacted my dad and he got him to ring me and he said quote “it would only be harmful if I sanded or scraped it, cracking it with a hammer there would be minimal dust”.

Am I being paranoid or should I Cover the holes with something? I’m not sure but would appreciate some advice on this as have a small baby so don’t want them to be harmed in any ways. Thanks.
I've being trade 35 years worked with old school builders plastrers don't hear many with asbestos problems I think if it was that dangerous we be dropping off ike flyes!but better be safe than sorry !