Artex ceiling fallen after 30 years

Dguite

My bedroom ceiling is artexed and part of it has fallen down after being up there for 30 years. I had a plastere look at it and he said it was due to ticks. Has anyone else heard of this and what is the best course of action?

Never heard so much bs !! Unless you had woodworm in the joists!! In which case your in trouble as all your ceilings will be in the same condition!! Probly just sagging has started !! Have you put junt up there causing it ??

Any leaks, heavy storage, weight suspended, recent adaptions? Post some photos.
Come on throw us a bone.

giphy (2).gif

Skimmed a kitchen dinner ceiling the other week. Over artex .the kitchen fitter had put SBR on it day before. As I was giving it the last trowel a patch cracked came away. Foot square, artex had come off the board. First in a long time. but you never know and the risk you take .

Skimmed a kitchen dinner ceiling the other week. Over artex .the kitchen fitter had put SBR on it day before. As I was giving it the last trowel a patch cracked came away. Foot square, artex had come off the board. First in a long time. but you never know and the risk you take .
wtf would anyone put SBR on artex? never heard such bollox in my life

Seems to be a lot of talk about using SBR recently, especially neat, but my ten pence for whatever it’s worth is don’t!

I think it’s great for killing suction on the Mojave desert walls, but only a watered down coat followed by a pva coat. You don’t want to kill the suction completely, else the skim will tear to fook. And given a vid I saw on YouTube about using it to patch in a ceiling and be out in 15 mins. Ok, but how do you blend in and leave a seemless job to the existing plaster. Sbr is a c**t to paint over

So if you had a whole empty house of artex ceilings to do. You wouldn't apply pva or sealer the day before so you can skim first thing in the morning. I've always skimmed over bone dry pva if possible. I'm still waiting for the phone call to say it's fell off.. each to there own . More than one way to skin a cat etc. :burlas:

So if you had a whole empty house of artex ceilings to do. You wouldn't apply pva or sealer the day before so you can skim first thing in the morning. I've always skimmed over bone dry pva if possible. I'm still waiting for the phone call to say it's fell off.. each to there own . More than one way to skin a cat etc. :burlas:

Why leave it dry? I do the same although im guessing some think you have to apply your skim whilst its tacky. Maybe they wrongly think it helps the skim adhere for some reason, but i hear it all the time.

I used to think if the pva went dry i would have to reapply it and wait for it to go tacky :ROFLMAO:

So yeah i dont care if it dries as it re-emulsifies (goes liquid) with the skim. I think there is a partial evaporation with the pva as it dries, and not enough that the skim starts sliding about, but it does come back to life a bit?