Apprentice wants out

Vincey

Private Member
Any helpful advice my apprentice is on third year at college and doesn’t want to go anymore, he asked if he can just come out to work instead all the time he says he gets nothing from going to college but I’m not sure if he is just not trying or if he’s better off just learning more actively on the job with me , Tbf he’d say himself he still has loads to learn but doesn’t like college at all

Any helpful advice my apprentice is on third year at college and doesn’t want to go anymore, he asked if he can just come out to work instead all the time he says he gets nothing from going to college but I’m not sure if he is just not trying or if he’s better off just learning more actively on the job with me , Tbf he’d say himself he still has loads to learn but doesn’t like college at all
Dont know what they teach now, but many years ago a 3rd year apprentice would know the basics boarding and skimming , how to float and set, rendering
Screeding and be getting into the interesting stuff, cornice work, mouldings etc.
But doubt many of the teachers have a clue about the trade and it probably takes a year to explain why hundreds of different types of trowel, spat, speedscam etc are needed to put on a bit of finish.

Dont know what they teach now, but many years ago a 3rd year apprentice would know the basics boarding and skimming , how to float and set, rendering
Screeding and be getting into the interesting stuff, cornice work, mouldings etc.
But doubt many of the teachers have a clue about the trade and it probably takes a year to explain why hundreds of different types of trowel, spat, speedscam etc are needed to put on a bit of finish.
Our young lad did 3 years and he couldn't even mix up properly. The firm he left and tutor taught him fuk all because he learned the trade in strangeways jail . Ha ha

Will the third year get him level 3 though? I know from recent experience that the qualifications have changed and it now takes 3 years to reach level 2.
Always worth pushing for level 3 even if it’s bullshit it opens a lot more doors later in life.

Encourage him to stick it out mate, once a quitter always a quitter!

I did my apprenticeship in 2001 and it was over 3 years I got nvq level 2 for like 6-8 weeks you was at the college doing practical so it was float and set with sand and lime plaster from what I remember as it never sets,and then skimming and then boarding dabbing etc once they found you a placement it was once a week then and it was all in the classroom my tutor came out on site to me once 2 years in and by that stage I was quite good at float and set as that’s the majority of the work we did and he passed me off on and the rest of the b*ll***s they pass you off on practical at the college the only thing I never learnt was coving or cornice I had a 2 hour crash course on it at college had a go with another lad in one of there mock rooms and they passed me off lol

I did my apprenticeship in 2001 and it was over 3 years I got nvq level 2 for like 6-8 weeks you was at the college doing practical so it was float and set with sand and lime plaster from what I remember as it never sets,and then skimming and then boarding dabbing etc once they found you a placement it was once a week then and it was all in the classroom my tutor came out on site to me once 2 years in and by that stage I was quite good at float and set as that’s the majority of the work we did and he passed me off on and the rest of the b*ll***s they pass you off on practical at the college the only thing I never learnt was coving or cornice I had a 2 hour crash course on it at college had a go with another lad in one of there mock rooms and they passed me off lol
So you're a chancer then?
Let me introduce you to @ChrispyUK , you two should get on like a house on fire.

So you're a chancer then?
Let me introduce you to @ChrispyUK , you two should get on like a house on fire.
suspense GIF

Your better off keeping him below level 3 less opportunities for him to leave you and better himself....

Sad but true dog eat dog thuis building game malarky!

Why waste all that time money effort on a apprentice…
conversation should go like yes no problem, you are just a lab then ….

@Vincey The college part of an apprenticeship is the theory side of plastering and the NVQ is the practical side. He will be able to get by with his NVQ, get on sites and it will open doors for him in the future. The full framework of an apprenticeship will give him far more opportunities in the future so you need to be asking him to think about his future. If he finishes this academic year he’s only got about another 20 days or so.