Another reskimm

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.B

I've got a customer who is "tarting up" a property to sell on. I am to skimm over some artex ceilings, which is normally no problem.

Most of the ceilings are fine but one is cracked in many places but not loose or bouncy. It seems solid.

If I grit and over skimm I'm sure the cracks would come back so I have suggested that I overboard it but as usual with most customers these days he does not want to pay the extra.

I've seen a few posts on here with adding fibres to the first coat.
I've never tried this before myself but am always willing to try something new. Will it help in this case do you think?

I've told my customer I'm not guaranteeing this ceiling.

everything helps but i would tape the cracks as well, to be honest i used to use fibers but i dont think they do alot.

Just scrim the cracks and as you say give the customer a note to say that you will not guarantee this ceiling due to not plastered to your recommended spec.

By the time you have primed it, meshed it, bonded it you might as well have boarded it.

I know! It does my head in! You want to do a quality job and end up fu***ng about trying trying to make sure it does not fail when it would be easyer to just board it and skimm!
(Customer is an actual bricklayer)

for peace of mind deri, board it, if he does not want to pay the extra ,walk away, because believe me if anything goes wrong he will come straight back to you

I know! It does my head in! You want to do a quality job and end up fu***ng about trying trying to make sure it does not fail when it would be easyer to just board it and skimm!
(Customer is an actual bricklayer)

It is annoying, and usually only £75 - £100 difference. Just advise them the ceiling is highly likely to show hairline cracks.

for peace of mind deri, board it, if he does not want to pay the extra ,walk away, because believe me if anything goes wrong he will come straight back to you

My experience is they don't come back if you advise them its the cheapest option and not recommended.

I have found in the past is its best not to give the option, just allow for it and say the price is the price.

just tape and skim the fooker get paid and do one! you told him what you think so no come backs as far as im concerned

just tape and skim the fooker get paid and do one! you told him what you think so no come backs as far as im concerned

That's what il do mate! And il be half hoping it fails too just so I can say I told you so! After I'm payed of course.

Well @Deri, I agree with @hector over board or walk away as explain a small saving in "overskim" costs far outweighs the comebacks your going to get to keep coming back to rectify a job on a constant basis! Plus your reputation etc! Best of luck pal

Last edited by a moderator:
Well @Deri, I agree with @hector over board or walk away as explain a small saving in "overskim" costs far outweighs the comebacks your going to get to keep coming back to rectify a job on a constant basis! Plus your reputation etc! Best of luck pal

totally agree - think of your reputation, trust a bricklayer to want it done on the cheap tight bar steward :RpS_laugh:

It's a tough one this. It gets me so angry that everyone seems to think they know better than us! You are right about reputation and I don't want to risk losing mine by letting someone talk me round.
Scrap my last post.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tough one this. It gets me so angry that everyone seems to think they know better than us! You are right about reputation and I don't want to risk losing mine by letting someone talk me round.
Scrap my last post.
I'm not telling you what to do mate its your call! But if I were you I'd be pissed off getting phone calls every so often telling me there's cracks here and there and what am I going to do about it etc!!! b*ll***s to that lark!!

Like others have said tell him there's no guarantee as your going over an existing substrate that could get worse over time .... signed quote .... any problems then youve done all you can especially if youve pushed for an overboard.

If he's not happy just walk away ... is it worth the hassle for a days work ?????

The bricky aint giving a feck....tartin it up and selling it:RpS_thumbup:

scrim it and skim it.......as jessop says...just do it:rolleyes)

Don't worry about it mate, let the customer make the decision, and crack on...this is always a difficult one as Beddy says for some reason some customers just don't see it.

Scrap my last post.

I think you've answered your own question - plus sound advice from the lads :RpS_thumbsup:

Grab the builder like this and squeeze and shake till he agrees overboard it the correct way to go!!
attachment.php

I've got a customer who is "tarting up" a property to sell on. I am to skimm over some artex ceilings, which is normally no problem.

Most of the ceilings are fine but one is cracked in many places but not loose or bouncy. It seems solid.

If I grit and over skimm I'm sure the cracks would come back so I have suggested that I overboard it but as usual with most customers these days he does not want to pay the extra.

I've seen a few posts on here with adding fibres to the first coat.
I've never tried this before myself but am always willing to try something new. Will it help in this case do you think?

I've told my customer I'm not guaranteeing this ceiling.

if he really doesnt want to over board it the likely hood is it will crack we all agree there but he wont have the house and you would have been paid by then and be well outa the picture, you never know when it cracks and the hew owners realise they might call you in to rip it down reboard and skim it unknowingly.
you cant make people do something if they're adamant they dont want to, youve tried to warn him and hes said boll ocks so just say boll ocks back

i'm not telling you what to do mate its your call! But if i were you i'd be pissed off getting phone calls every so often telling me there's cracks here and there and what am i going to do about it etc!!! b*ll***s to that lark!!

stop telling him what to do!

I tend to scrim the cracks after putting a few screws in here and there. Then betokontakt or PvA followed by paper tape over the scrim ( which was applied so you could see where the cracks are after the Kontakt has dried). This is often because can't overboard as there is coving. Ideally yes overboard but still paper tape before skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.