Advice wanted

mozz

I posted the following thread in September about a rendering job on my house that didn't go to plan. Thanks for all the replies.

http://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/advice-wanted.64995/

The trader kept to his promise to fix the problem but his preferred remedy left me a little unsure. Could anyone advise on whether the following is a effective fix for the crumbling render:

"we're going to wrap the render in a fibreglass meshing which will stabilise the old render then go over the top of it so no hacking off and less mess. So 1 day to bead up and mesh Apply scratch 1 day to top coat. 2 days between coats to allow to dry"

Is this the best solution?

NB. the terraced house was built around 1890 - the brickwork didn't look too great when the original render was hacked off

Many Thanks.

Mozz mate, as I recall the best guess of this forum was that the mix was wrong in some way. As you say the render is crumbling and weak, wrapping it in mesh and rendering it again seems unlikely to work. If I had done this work I would be taking it back to brick and making sure it was done right. Likewise if I had paid for this to be done.
contact someone reputable from this site and get it done properly.

I posted the following thread in September about a rendering job on my house that didn't go to plan. Thanks for all the replies.

The trader kept to his promise to fix the problem but his preferred remedy left me a little unsure. Could anyone advise on whether the following is a effective fix for the crumbling render:

"we're going to wrap the render in a fibreglass meshing which will stabilise the old render then go over the top of it so no hacking off and less mess. So 1 day to bead up and mesh Apply scratch 1 day to top coat. 2 days between coats to allow to dry"

NB. the terraced house was built around 1890 - the brickwork didn't look too great when the original render was hacked off

Many Thanks.
It won't stabilise nothing it needs to come off

Spray it all dark blue.
Put little white stars on the upper part of the property with a yellow painted moon on the roof.
Id love to have a "sky house" like yours..... all you neighbours will be furious with envy.

Ask him how many times he had rendered potatoes with mesh? If he doesn't have the experience from no someone else.

I remember this the mesh won't stabilise anything,the saying many of us on here have said before is "your only as good as substrate your going onto" it needs to come off and be redone if talking mesh yes can be done on sand cement and I do a long winded way but have never had problems I put coat on then bed mesh in then cos for me feel it isn't a deep enough scratch I go over again to scratch some won't agree but it's way I do it, I know a few render boys still at it now but I don't render this time of year mainly cos weather to inconsistent but many will tell you it's fine and I'm of opinion that they know more than me, hope you are happy with all the replies and gives you some knowledge but end of day only u can decide, I'm guessing your gonna be even more picky this time which is fair on your part cos should of been done right first time,go with your gut feeling, mine on this is you wasn't happy first time round so if you let him do again your be on here after he has finished complaining again
Good luck with your decision

Many Thanks.

Many Thanks.
IMO, a proper job would be to hack off and back to the brickwork and start again. So he's obviously used white cement for the render, but there is quite a lot of shade variance on the top coat - not gauging correctly causes problems, the render looks torn by the aggregate in some areas (he's rubbed that up when it's too wet) - was it over wet with too much additive which can weaken the mix. What type of sands been used in the mix, your looking for fine sharpe for render. I lived in Essex for a while and around there the sand was 'soft washed'... not a fine sharp, horrible end results.
It's a tricky one without getting eyes on it.

Many Thanks.

IMO, a proper job would be to hack off and back to the brickwork and start again. So he's obviously used white cement for the render, but there is quite a lot of shade variance on the top coat - not gauging correctly causes problems, the render looks torn by the aggregate in some areas (he's rubbed that up when it's too wet) - was it over wet with too much additive which can weaken the mix. What type of sands been used in the mix, your looking for fine sharpe for render. I lived in Essex for a while and around there the sand was 'soft washed'... not a fine sharp, horrible end results.
It's a tricky one without getting eyes on it.