advice please - how to level the inside of reveal after new windows fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealeg

I recently had some new windows put in and asked the fitter to not put plastic cover strips around the edges as two of the reveals are quite out of square and I thought it would look nicer to square it all up to the newly fitted windows and finish it 'properly'.

So my question is what is the best way to do this. I have included pictures of the worst window, the fitter has filled the gaps with expanding foam and I have cut them back about level at the moment.

Problem 1 - The top of the reveal is around 17mm higher at the left than the right so I need to level this off. Do I try and plaster it? if so whats the best way to do this. Or do I use plasterboard, (this is what I originally thought I'd do), my intention was to pack it at the left to make it level.

If I use plasterboard how do I finish the edges, ie where it meets the window and where it comes to the edge of the reveal. I have rebuilt a wall before so I have used plasterboard, angle beads and finishing plaster and made a good job of it. But I'm not so sure I could manage to plaster a whole wall. Can I use anglebead over the top of the existing ones, and just finish the front outside edge with a bit of finishing plaster? or should I use stop bead on the new plasterboard then use finishing plaster to fill any gaps?

Problem2 - the gaps between the window frame and the existing plasterboard are quite big, (around 25mm at the widest point), whats the best way to fill these to avoid cracking.

I'm happy to skim finishing plaster over the whole inside of the reveal if needed.

I'm just looking for some suggestions/advice before I start, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Neale

window01.jpg window02.jpg

Hi mate, personally I think I would dot and dab some micro board to level the reveals, apply angle beads and plaster reveals and whole wall

or as Turkish has said but instead of skimming whole wall use easy fill and feather out all round beads 1 Bag of easy fill will do this

thanks for the advice guys, forgive my ignorance but by 'micro board' do you mean 9.5mm plasterboard?

Would you recommend plasterboarding the sides of the reveal as well or would it be ok to just plaster over the top of the expanding foam where the existing plasterboard meets the window frame. As I mentioned above the largest gap is 25mm. Or could I cut some plasterboard to fit into the gaps, tape it and plaster on top of that?

If you don't want to board the reveals, you could screw some plasterboard to the face of the wall hanging over the top of the window reveal & drop it to the height of the top of the window, use a square, then pva the reveal & fill out with bonding plaster using the plasterboard as a guide & the top of the window, then when firmed up remove the plasterboard add a stop bead & skim same day or pva if skimming next day etc, then on the face of the wall just easifill around the stop beads flush with the wall & fill the screw holes too. Then when dry give the easifill a light sand & your all ready to paint :RpS_thumbup:

Oh yeah I see what you mean about the gaps around the windows so just board it all :)
Use stop beads & fill the outside face wall with easifill :RpS_wink:
If you use drywall adhesive to fix the boards scrape some of the paint off first or score the reveals with a knife.

Oh yeah I see what you mean about the gaps around the windows so just board it all :)
Use stop beads & fill the outside face wall with easifill :RpS_wink:
If you use drywall adhesive to fix the boards scrape some of the paint off first or score the reveals with a knife.
my advice is use angle beads as sometimes stop beads warp and are a bitch to put up

my advice is use angle beads as sometimes stop beads warp and are a bitch to put up

Use spray contact adhesive piece of p1ss to put up :flapper:
Spray back of stop bead & spray plasterboard leave a few mins then fix in place :RpS_thumbup:

or just close your curtains :)

Straighten the Soviet(thats a soffit when you have fingers like yum yums on a kindle)
with your roller blind .
Seriously though that there is the result of a past housing boom. I'd square - ish the reveal with paperboard& skim the whole wall, it might be the truest bit of work on the whole estate or garden city or in fact go outside and make sure the cill is not shin height.
Sorry to be so negative mate but some clerk of works was payed to make sure you didn't have this issue

....I'd square - ish the reveal with paperboard& skim the whole wall,

Hi perlite, what exactly is paperboard? I'm guessing its much thinner than plasterboard? if so can it be used on the sides and top of the reveal. I'd prefer to use the thinnest solution possible.

If you don't want to board the reveals, you could screw some plasterboard to the face of the wall hanging over the top of the window reveal & drop it to the height of the top of the window, use a square, then pva the reveal & fill out with bonding plaster using the plasterboard as a guide & the top of the window, then when firmed up remove the plasterboard add a stop bead & skim same day or pva if skimming next day etc, then on the face of the wall just easifill around the stop beads flush with the wall & fill the screw holes too. Then when dry give the easifill a light sand & your all ready to paint :RpS_thumbup:

In both ya answers you use Easyfill, you seem to know wat ya doing with it, do you use alot Lee, seems you do.Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.