Advice on some lines while skim coating

Members online

No members online now.

kali_kali

I couldn’t find anything on this (maybe my search term was bad).

I’ve been wanting to make my walls smooth by skim coating, but I’ve never done it before so I’m practicing on some smaller/not so visible walls.

I have this horrible uneven texture (who even thought of this!), and I am first applying joint compound with a roller, then spreading it with a 10” drywall knife. However, no matter how much pressure I apply or the angle, I get these horrible lines and I can’t make it smooth on the first try.
What I do to make it smooth is wait for it to harden a bit, then go over it with a damp sponge. The first time I did it, I ended up sanding a bit once it was dry, then applying the second coat. I still had some lines but a lot less.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I attached the photos of what the wall looks like, and what it’s like after the first coat.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
I assume your from the states those lines are off the roller and you will not be able to cover over that texture with a roller,it goes on to thin,you will either have to overboard the texture or if your American Sheetrock over the texture,or you could scrape the texture high points and skim over it with 2 generous coats letting the first one pull in a bit or if your American scrape off the high points of the texture and use a drywall scraper and put two coats of mud on I think joint compound is the wrong stuff to use to completely cover a big area as it says JOINT COMPOUND

I’ve been wanting to make my walls smooth by skim coating, but I’ve never done it before so I’m practicing on some smaller/not so visible walls.

I have this horrible uneven texture (who even thought of this!), and I am first applying joint compound with a roller, then spreading it with a 10” drywall knife. However, no matter how much pressure I apply or the angle, I get these horrible lines and I can’t make it smooth on the first try.
What I do to make it smooth is wait for it to harden a bit, then go over it with a damp sponge. The first time I did it, I ended up sanding a bit once it was dry, then applying the second coat. I still had some lines but a lot less.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I attached the photos of what the wall looks like, and what it’s like after the first coat.
1703677030096.png

Mate.

Like backward gear.

I just clicked on your pics,

Let that coat dry/harden enough to sand.

Sand

Apply again

Sand

Then repeat til bosom smooth.

Wow, I thought a forum like this won’t have judgy people. I am not from the US so I’m not familiar with the way walls are built here (drywall and that). I was just looking for some advice.
After reading Stewie’s message, and some additional googling, I think I needed a thicker layer initially. I did remove some larger pointy areas with a putty knife before I started it. Then I let it dry, sanded a bit, then after the second coat I sanded again and it’s looking much better now. Still not perfect, but this wall is not that important, so I’ll just do a thicker layer and go slower next time.

I was mostly following this guy’s advice:

Wow, I thought a forum like this won’t have judgy people. I am not from the US so I’m not familiar with the way walls are built here (drywall and that). I was just looking for some advice.
After reading Stewie’s message, and some additional googling, I think I needed a thicker layer initially. I did remove some larger pointy areas with a putty knife before I started it. Then I let it dry, sanded a bit, then after the second coat I sanded again and it’s looking much better now. Still not perfect, but this wall is not that important, so I’ll just do a thicker layer and go slower next time.

I was mostly following this guy’s advice:

Well don't.