Advice Needed Please

Members online

SeekingAdvice

Hi, new user here after some advice please.

We're currently having a wraparound extension built on the house. Generally we've been pretty satisfied with the work to date, however the builder has had the plasterers in this week and I'm not happy about the ceiling line.

Effectively where the rafter meets the wall in the corner of one of the rooms the straight line between the wall and the ceiling suddenly bends downwards. It's making the room look awful as it looks like the room has fallen in that corner. I've flagged it with the builder and he's saying that it's due to the pitch of the roof and the rafter angles and it's perfectly normal. He's saying he'll get one of his workers to apply plaster adhesive to 'feather it out' and it won't be noticeable when painted. The plasterers have rounded over the rafters so the ceiling is looking very dome shaped. I was hoping we'd be able to get a clean line but apparently this isn't possible due to the angles.

I'm not convinced on the dropey ceiling line as the curvature looks too great and I think it's down to poor boarding although I'll be very honest I have no knowledge or prior experience of plastering whatsoever.

I've attached some pictures for reference. Could someone please offer some advice as I'm solely reliant on the builders word but looking at pictures online of similar build interiors I've not seen any that dip in the corner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and apologies in advance if I've broken any forum rules.

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_114242.jpg
    IMG_20231213_114242.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20231212_162856.jpg
    IMG_20231212_162856.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20231214_092653.jpg
    IMG_20231214_092653.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20231214_092734.jpg
    IMG_20231214_092734.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20231214_095550.jpg
    IMG_20231214_095550.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 158
Plasterer did good with that
see what you mean but is a design issue a builder issue
too late now
put Xmas tree up in that corner

Plasterer did good with that
see what you mean but is a design issue a builder issue
too late now
put Xmas tree up in that corner
Thanks Monkey Boy, really appreciate the feedback. I don't have an issue with the plastering work, clearly it's been done to a decent standard. After all you can only work with what's in front of you. I guess I'm just surprised as to why it drops in that corner when images of similar ceilings on-line all seem to make perfect 90 degree angles. The room architecturally has lots of clean lines and this just looks a bit odd.

I had the same thing on a couple of extentions I did. After talking to my chippie mate he told me it's down to building regs. The hip bearer has to be the same dimensions as the roof joist so you end up with that low corner. I ended up packing down the joists with strips of plasterboard to get it straight.

Blame the architwat for designing s**t and Grand designs etc for convincing idiots to have vaulted ceilings.