a professional opinion...

blankexpression

... is what I expected from my builder. I have very little knowledge of plastering/skimming so asked our builder (who did our garage conversion) what was happening here:

He told us this was a 'drying crack' and usually expects his clients to paint over themselves. However, he is coming here tomorrow to sand and paint the problem - to 'appease us'.

Now, I'm no Nick Knowles (sorry if this offends you) but this looks a little more serious? Maybe the plasterboards were not attached properly and are moving? The plaster is actually popping out so sanding won't do anything right?

On a different part of the same wall, the plaster is actually falling off:

What on earth do I say to him?

What's behind it? New blockwork, existing wall, bricked up doorway, stud wall, metal stud and insulation?

I hate Nick Knowles and his band of twerts etc. I'm concerned over the rust mark? I guess your rad pipes run there and the cracks are due to the dabs not being dry in the first place before the heating was cranked up?? Your pipes shouldn't be there in the first place but anything to save costs for some supposed tradesmen

its a case of someone only knowing half of the job !
skimmings easy ,but insulated boards dabbed is a different kettle of fish , supposed to be drilled and mushroomed for fire regs and help stop them moving especially if its the cheap insulation ones ,and i'm betting on this without even seeing job

Skim shouldn't be falling off. Heating up nice and high?.....after all the "he said, she said" your gonna have with the builder......if he refuses to try to fix or in some way justifies the crack......just fill them, sand them and decorate.

So your no nick knowles but have a picture of him, me thinks your taking the piss, I wouldn't entertain it fellas

Defo looks like not supported as that isn't a hair line crack @casplas is correct if dot and dab it needs two nailable plugs in middle of board and believe it or not the correct system for dot and dab is on 8x4 is 3 rows of 6 and 6x3 is 4 rows of six I bet he will mention drill a hole and spray foam it lol

I don't mind filling and decorating - but the crack in the top pic is literally sticking out, if you lean on the wall there is so much movement.

The problem is i'm a total DIY dumbass, and the majority of this work was completed whilst I was at work.

I need to work out how to deal with him tomorrow. If I can get him to accept it's a more significant problem with the boards rather than just his 'drying cracks' I could probably get more of a result.

I don't mind filling and decorating - but the crack in the top pic is literally sticking out, if you lean on the wall there is so much movement.

The problem is i'm a total DIY dumbass, and the majority of this work was completed whilst I was at work.

I need to work out how to deal with him tomorrow. If I can get him to accept it's a more significant problem with the boards rather than just his 'drying cracks' I could probably get more of a result.
Just be honest say what's gone on here can it be sorted your half way there in him actually coming back you don't need us to script what to say as you already know what you wanna say

Boards shouldn't move.
Skim shouldn't fall off.
The only cracks that stick out are, well you know.......

I'd say it's down to the heat coming off the rad, if it was the board no secured properly it would be a straight crack but there are two side by side.

As @casplas said, hence I was asking if it was dabbed, plugs is a must, still a lot of people avoid them as they not even aware of it.

The amount of times if seen those cheap polystyrene insulated boards fail whwn dabbed is ridiculous
99% of the time it's because it hasn't been done properly .

But either way they're shite

As @Pagey says they also need mechanically fixing with the proper fixings

The amount of times if seen those cheap polystyrene insulated boards fail whwn dabbed is ridiculous
99% of the time it's because it hasn't been done properly .

But either way they're shite

As @Pagey says they also need mechanically fixing with the proper fixings

My guess is not enough dabs and none supporting the edges.
No mechanical fixing.
If it moves when you touch it well.. that should give you your answer that it hasn't been done properly

Agree with fixings problem and the radiator has exacerbated the problem. I would put fixings into edges (mushrooms or hammer fixings with stainless steel washers) cement board scrim over the top on re skim blending in. (Check no rad pipes running up wall)

I also find it quite amusing how many people dont know that there is meant to be a continuous dab along the ceiling line and the skirting line....

Yes continuous dab ceiling line skirting line and sockets, the boards need ripping off and seeing what's going on no good guessing or filling in

Yes continuous dab ceiling line skirting line and sockets, the boards need ripping off and seeing what's going on no good guessing or filling in
Guarantee the builder won't suggest that or even be happy to do that.
All he'll say is ill tape and fill it feathering it in

I was talking about you lol and your assumption based on how you address the problem o_O
You've lost me.
You basically said they say we judge people by our own standards.
All I was stating is what the builder will suggest.
What's that got to do with me and my standards?

If I've read it wrong and got the wrong end of the stick I apologise in advance.

You've lost me.
You basically said they say we judge people by our own standards.
All I was stating is what the builder will suggest.
What's that got to do with me and my standards?

If I've read it wrong and got the wrong end of the stick I apologise in advance.

Exactly you have suggested what the builder will say which is usually based on your own standards of doing things. Put simply we judge people based on our own standards

I know what I would do but also have my own book of excuses to get out of things we all do don't we :whistle: