YTONG Blocks

swimmingpaul

has anybody got any experience rendering over ytong blocks . I've got a garden wall to do in s&c and I haven't come across these before , so wanting to know if I need to do anything different to prime them ? cheers.

Looking them up they are lightweight aerated blocks 3.5 newton.

Sand and cement will be too strong so a product like Everbuild Rendagrip 507 will act as a primer between the block and render. You can get it from Screwfix.

Brush it on liberally you should get 15-20m2 per tub, put it on the day before so it has fully dried.

I remember reading on Facebook about someone having grief with these, and that was on internal work.

Who the f**k renders ove ytongs and uses mix ratio of 1:3 cement sand to build with ? Only in Britain !

Just wet them i been floating with sand and cement on them for two weeks now

Looking them up they are lightweight aerated blocks 3.5 newton.

Sand and cement will be too strong so a product like Everbuild Rendagrip 507 will act as a primer between the block and render. You can get it from Screwfix.

Brush it on liberally you should get 15-20m2 per tub, put it on the day before so it has fully dried.
sand and cement not too strong if you increase the ratio of sand to cement?

Last edited:
Just wet them i been floating with sand and cement on them for two weeks now
Are you doing that site in Dunmow Gary? I popped into the other area for a chat a few weeks back with some of the guys I worked with years ago.

sand and cement not too strong if you increase the ratio of sand to cement?
I had an issue back in December 86 can’t remember the day date but it was a Monday, anyway, had a cracking issue on Celcons with sand and cement. Celcon rep came out and said strongest sand and cement on their blocks is 6:1:1 so the clerk of works specked 8:1:1 (internal). He wouldn’t allow pva etc just a good wetting down. Still crazed being 150mm blocks. Floated on Thursday, crazed by Friday but that was his day off for the races so skimmed it Sunday.

Those old Clerk of Works was keen!

i am being serious tho-only in this country you can see sand and cement used on and with ytong or selcon type of blocks.