your advice would be appreciated........

Status
Not open for further replies.

2canvandam

hello all,

I am looking at doing a 6 week intensive plastering course, probably at plasterclass in paisley, to obtain a reasonable skill level and to gain a good knowledge base from which i can start too learn more about plastering. I am abit off a geek for old properties and interested in renovation and traditional techniques.

I have done several renovations and conversation projects on my own previously. I ended up doing alot of the work myself, to a high standard - im a bit of a perfectionist, and where required subbying out the other work. I have also worked on a number of other projects for mates etc other on barn conversions and stuff. I have a good knowledge of working with Drylining and have framed out, drylined and taped a good number of rooms and large areas, ceilings and walls etc as well as putting up my own coving (the more simple stuff) in various rooms.

Where i have used a plasterers before for skimming old walls in flats etc i had to go through two or three till i could find a good guy who worked hard and left a good standard of finnish. Maybe it was the time (as this was two years and go and everything was booming) however i now use him straight away every time now and recomend him to anybody who asks (although you pay fo quailty!).... However i want to learn to do it myself, for myself initially, and then maybey for mates and family and stuff.

I work offshore and do 12hr shifts for 28 days straights so hard work isnt an issue and im young 26.... I dont intend to set up on my own with my stetson and horse or anything like that!!

I just have time on my hands during the winter months with lots of time at home and want something to keep me busy and I can normally pick things up quickly....I want to be able to achive a good level of finnish on my own and to supplement what i have already learned from these previous projects.

any advice from the profeesionals on ways to progress forward or any experience having done this course would be greatly appreciated ?

i think a short course would be ideal for you if its mainly to be for diy purposes its all you will need then learn by your mistakes and theres always this place if you need any advice theres usually someone about happy to help ;D ;D

To be honest i dont know that much about these courses,but you should be able to skim at least to a good finish after 6 weeks training.I doubt that you could learn all aspects of plastering in such time.
im not sure what the cost of these courses is......but you may be better of working along side a plasterer for 4-6 weeks seeing and learning from him,if you labour for him im sure hell teach you all he knows for NOTHING...... at least i would.
The thing is mate to be honest....... the process for plastering (skimming) is quite simple,follow the procedure and away you go especially on boards.
But theres always obstacles such as different suction rates on different walls and backgrounds,what plaster to use where ? and how to use it to YOUR advantage.
There realy are so many different aspects to this plastering work,which is why a forum like this is present to help people with problems they come across.
no course will teach you these skils, the best way in my opinion is to learn on the job in domestic housing situations by an experienced guy where you doing different work every few days on different backgrounds in different houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.